PLEASE HELP...(PICS INCLUDED)!!!!!!!!

Andrewdp123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012

This is my mixed breed chick that hatched today...The problem is after helping it because it was struggling for hours the umbillical cord was still attached to a small yolk sack...It wants to survive (moving and chirping), and my mom wants it to survive...I just would have given up much earlier than my mother...So any suggestions?

First off:

You really shouldn't help the chicks hatch. It can day up to 24 or even 48 hours before they are out and all fluffy.

But.... I can't say I have never done that before. Lucky for you I had a hen where I had to help most of her chicks out because of humidity problems and all but one survived. (Caught some disease)

So here's what you need to do:

Keep him in a warm area away from other chicks that will peck at the umbilical cord. Make sure it is nice and toasty and give him a few hours, or even a day or two. Make sure there is food and water in there after about a day, just in case he gets up and needs some. Also, make sure the area is near the other chicks so he can hear their peeping, he will respond to that and want to get up. He probably has a bit more of the yolk to absorb and will be weak for awhile, but he can make it with the right care. The temperature should be 95 degrees and not too much lower. You will also want to make sure that there is plenty of nutrition in the food he will be eating once he starts, as he will probably have some other problems due to an early hatching.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Don't let the chicks peck at him.

she is the only chick in the incubator...She was already over due but his head was at the side with out the air sack...thanks for all the help and if anyone thinks of anything else I'm open to learn.

Is it moving at all or just laying on it's side? I just had this same thing happen to one of my poults

She is still moving and chirps when stimulated My Mother after 8 hours of letting her dry in the incubator and occasionally holding her under a heat lamp saw that the cord had been twisted about seven times and seemed tight so she just snipped carefully to detatch it from the remaining shell and yolk hoping it had obsorbed all it could. still breathing though seems very weak.. no bleeding and does chirp and move if touched.

Chicks are usually very week for the first few days of life. They are in a strange new world and just broke free from the egg. It's like if the baby had to crawl out from inside our belly instead of being pushed. A lot of a work, and you're exhausted afterwords. Give her some time, heat, and love, and hope all goes well.

Starting to get a little hope she is moving a bit more fluffing up kicking her feet some .. just really tired but no blood the area where she was attached looks like it might be tightening up..but was really pretuding . My Mother is still standing over her.. I have to go to bed but I am going to leave this site up for her if any one has any more help for her she can check it out.. I am off school in the AM Thank you

I am Andrews Crazy Mother Who wouldnt give up on this Chick .. And am Happy to say as of this morning she is Up walking and drinking and eating starter already and happily getting along with another chick who was also in distress Both are doing Fine !

Im very glad to hear she is doing good!!!! Good luck with the rest off your hatch.
clap.gif

<3 kelsey

Back
Top Bottom