PLEASE HELP!! Pics of Duck eggs. Hatch is close.

5Chances

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
Please see pictures. First two are egg 6 and last one is egg 1.
IMG_5597.JPG
IMG_5598.JPG
IMG_5599.JPG
I am pretty much desperate at this point. I tried posting to the incubating forum but I'm not getting any replies and I really could use some help. My Pekin is setting 4 eggs. This is her first time and these are all the viable eggs left after all these MANY weeks. I was uncertain when her incubation started. I thought 4/28 but after learning to candle and compare to development stages I think it was more like after 5/5...

So up until 5/31 all was well. 5/30 everyone was moving. 1 & 6 seemed to be the soonest to hatch with 3, then 4 slightly behind... 5/31 all of a sudden 3 has no movement, and as I turned the egg it was like I could see a jiggle of the inside. But no movement when held still. I figured it quit :( Then with 1&6 I noticed the air sac had grown from last measure on 5/29 but I wasn't sure I was seeing any movement. Checked them yesterday- 6/1- and 1&6 are very full with a small amount of clear space, in which I don't really see any veins and I'm not seeing movement. 4 was still looking good and the air sac had gotten a little bigger today...

My question is (please see pics) I THINK these eggs are are around 24-25-26 days (???) but with eggs like this should I be able to see movement??? At what point is the egg too full to see movement? Is it possible they are moving in the center of the egg and it would not be obvious to me?? I'm so worried they died. We had a horrible rain storm here 5/30 &5/31. Ethel did not put her nest in an ideal spot she has cover over the top but rain still blows in. She has been a great mom- so very dedicated. I know she sat on them all through those storms but wondering if the environment did them in :(

I never expected a Pekin to go broody but she sure did... I have babies her and these eggs so much. I don't know much about duck eggs and it seems like chicken egg info is the most popular it's not helping me. Anyone that can help me know if I've lost them or what to do... I appreciate your time.

No they don't smell. No they did not get submerged in water. The reason I am checking them is because 1) she started this broody business back on April 13 when she first started laying. I have been concerned for HER health as she has been steadily setting since April 28. She had 22 eggs at one point. Obviously she could not hatch 22 eggs. So I was told by multiple people to candle them as rotten eggs could contaminate the whole nest. We are down to four.

All I asked was what an egg should look like at this stage because I'm not sure when they started the incubating process. Excuse me for trying to learn something new & check on the health of my animals.
Good news... Candling her eggs as you are doing will do no harm unless you drop them or crack them.

Bad news... They don't look quite right to me, but I've been wrong before, so the best thing to do is let her sit on them for another week, then re-candle.

Artificial incubation is just that, artificial... automatic turners are different than a gentle handling by hand...

Wild birds are just that, wild... domestic birds have been bred to be dependent on people for their care, health and well being... proper management means making sure the currently living animal is healthy and not stressing itself out by sitting on eggs that may never hatch... or eggs that could explode and contaminate the entire nest...

I will not continue this argument anymore... the OP asked for specific opinions on the state of their eggs, that is all that needs to be discussed... if you wish to continue this eslewhere, then feel free to make your own thread elsewhere about it...

No need to get upset at those trying to help....
If you keep picking up the eggs they lose the heat they need to hatch....
and you might stop them from hatching and they will die in the egg...
I believe if you don't pick the eggs up the way they lay, I think its possible you may
confused the chick... He's in one position and then you move it...?
Hope they hatch... to me they look alive, but I would leave them alone..
Well, I apologize but it did upset me, I was just trying to ask for some help and everyone seemed to be telling me I was hurting my eggs which I don't see how because people who incubate candle their eggs. I am always careful to place them as they were in the nest as I figure Ethel knows best how they should set. Because I'm not sure of exactly how old they are and because she is outside although in a pen, I'm concerned about when to expect them to hatch. I don't want them to hatch and something get them or them wander through the pen panels & get away from her. So I was just trying to keep an eye on them to know if I need to move them inside for safety.

@casportpony is exactly right, candling and checking your broodys eggs will not harm them... I check on my Call duck broodys eggs all the time and they have excellent success with good eggs... if they quit or go bad, not even a broody will be successful with those...

I was thinking they might have been late quitters as well, but if you saw movement, then they're still viable... looks like they are close to hatching, within next couple days or so... hang in there and good for you putting your broodys health first! :hugs

THANK YOU!! Going to sit down and check those out shortly. I know Eddie (my drake) probably wishes the babies would hurry up. He's kind of pitiful wandering around by himself. You can tell he's bored but afraid to get to far away from Ethel!!
I have a drake that's in love with a chicken hen that's on a nest, and he stays by her all day!

No need to get upset at those trying to help....
If you keep picking up the eggs they lose the heat they need to hatch....
and you might stop them from hatching and they will die in the egg...
I believe if you don't pick the eggs up the way they lay, I think its possible you may
confused the chick... He's in one position and then you move it...?
Hope they hatch... to me they look alive, but I would leave them alone..

Thank you. I have actuall

Thank you. I wondered but I actually saw slight shadowy movement so I feel better. The only reason I have candled so much was because I was worried after all the rain and her nest getting so damp from the rain blowing in and then I didn't see movement but they appeared to be getting larger. If it is safe to leave her for another week I will do that. Thank you again.
You're welcome! If they died there is nothing you can do about it, right? Fingers crossed and hope for the best. :) keep an eye on her and if they hatch I'm sure you'll notice before they wander off.

Back
Top Bottom