Please Help! Quail with blood in her poop!!!

Anna1991

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
I have a pet Quail for 3 years now. I noticed it today that she has blood in her poop. I'm assuming it's coccidiosis. We don't have Corid available here. I'm currently using oregano oil with garlic. Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Can you post photos of her poop?

Have you checked her vent to see if there's prolapse or injury that may be the source of blood?
Is she in lay? Any issues with laying eggs?
Seen any worms?
How is she housed, have you added any new birds recently?

Where are you located in the world? There may be medications that we can suggest that may be available in your location.

If the cause of the blood is Coccidiosis, then it's best to get Amprolium (Corid, Coccivet, Harker's Coxoid) as soon as possible.
Other medications that can be used for treating Coccidiosis are sulfa antibiotics and Toltrazuril.

See that she's eating/drinking o.k. You can give her some white cooked rice with buttermilk to help soothe the gut.

Have you checked her vent to see if there's prolapse or injury that may be the source of blood?
Seen any worms?

Where are you located in the world? There may be medications that we can suggest that may be available in your location.

If the cause of the blood is Coccidiosis, then it's best to get Amprolium (Corid, Coccivet, Harker's Coxoid) as soon as possible.
Other medications that can be used for treating Coccidiosis are sulfa antibiotics and Toltrazuril.

See that she's eating/drinking o.k. You can give her some white cooked rice with buttermilk to help soothe the gut.
I just changed her bedding a few minutes ago so I might not able to upload any pictures of her poop. I might be able to upload it tomorrow.

She is a single pet quail and she lays once or twice a week now. She doesn't have any injury. I have dewormed her a month back so it's not worms. She is normally cheerful and likes to act like she is the owner of the house. But in the morning I saw her not responding to my call and sitting in the corner of her cage and also noticed white pasty poop with blood in it.

I will try the sulfa drugs and see what happens. She has always been a fighter. She has been with me for almost 3 years now. Hope she gets well.

I just changed her bedding a few minutes ago so I might not able to upload any pictures of her poop. I might be able to upload it tomorrow.

She is a single pet quail and she lays once or twice a week now. She doesn't have any injury. I have dewormed her a month back so it's not worms. She is normally cheerful and likes to act like she is the owner of the house. But in the morning I saw her not responding to my call and sitting in the corner of her cage and also noticed white pasty poop with blood in it.

I will try the sulfa drugs and see what happens. She has always been a fighter. She has been with me for almost 3 years now. Hope she gets well.
I hope she gets well too, keep us posted on how she gets along.

I have a pet Quail for 3 years now. I noticed it today that she has blood in her poop. I'm assuming it's coccidiosis. We don't have Corid available here. I'm currently using oregano oil with garlic. Is there anything else I can do to help her?
I wouldn't use garlic as it can be toxic to some birds. Oregano oil will not treat coccidiosis. @Wyrop Rock ,has already given you advice as how to proceed with treatment if it is coccidiosis.

I wouldn't use garlic as it can be toxic to some birds. Oregano oil will not treat coccidiosis. @Wyrop Rock ,has already given you advice as how to proceed with treatment if it is coccidiosis.
Can I use tetracycline hydrochloride instead? I went to the vet stores and none of them had any sulfa drugs or anything to treat birds here. I'm in India. Is there any other medicine for humans which can be used by birds which can be used to cure coccidiosis?
I wouldn't use garlic as it can be toxic to some birds. Oregano oil will not treat coccidiosis. @Wyrop Rock ,has already given you advice as how to proceed with treatment if it is coccidiosis

Seen any worms?

I'm from India and those medicines aren't available in my location. Can you suggest some other methods to cure her?

Can I use tetracycline hydrochloride instead? I went to the vet stores and none of them had any sulfa drugs or anything to treat birds here. I'm in India. Is there any other medicine for humans which can be used by birds which can be used to cure coccidiosis?
You can try the Tetracycline, it may help with secondary Enteritis that can accompany Coccidiosis.
Do you have any pet shops that carry medications? Ask them if they have SMZ-TMP, Toltrazuril, Amprolium. Often they do in India, it's just you have to look at the Labels for those active ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom