Please Help! Raccoon Problem!!! Click Here!!!!!!!!

Pics
Good idea, but we can't trap or shoot, because we live in the city! Darn raccoons!!!
You can catch them. Once yiu do confine them you take them out of city limits and dispose if them. If you release them tgey will just return. They are diseased and carry rabies. Buy live trap. Bait it with chunk of meat and tada...one down 4 to go.

Raccoons are digging under our chicken coop! Yes, raccoons. :mad: :he:he:he:he:rant:rant:rant:rantDarn raccoons!!!! They have been extremely persistent. What are fairly cheap products that you use that are affective raccoon repellents? ANY INFO WILL BE WELCOMED, AND APPRECIATED!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
We have lots of introduced foxes in Australia. They’ll happily dig into a chicken pen so most of our pens have concrete footings or as I have plenty of space I used the cheaper option of wide chicken netting spread on the ground along outside the pen. It’s tied to the pen with wire. The fox does not figure out that he should start to dig from the edge of the wire netting that is laying on the ground. Instead he tried to dig near the chicken pen.
ivecalso had great success with solar powered electric fence. I set it low (about 4 or 5 inches off the ground on the outside of the run, and about 10inchs out from the netting. Fox 🦊 comes along sniffing for how to get in, hits the electric wire with his nose and never ventured back again. It’s 8 volts.
might work for a raccoon.

Raccoons are digging under our chicken coop! Yes, raccoons. :mad: :he:he:he:he:rant:rant:rant:rantDarn raccoons!!!! They have been extremely persistent. What are fairly cheap products that you use that are affective raccoon repellents? ANY INFO WILL BE WELCOMED, AND APPRECIATED!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
You can go to your local feed store and get thick, heavy rubber stall mats. Cut them in half the long way, and fit them up against the chicken area. The mats cannot be moved easily, nor will something dig that far to get to the birds. I have all sorts of critters in my backyard; from raccoons to fisher cats, even a big cat (bobcat?), that totally blew me away. You don't need to kill the raccoons. We're raising little appetizers. Everybody likes chicken!

Best fix for digging animals is to put an apron around the run and coop. It's simply hardware cloth laid on the ground so the animal has to dig that much more to get under it. They will move on to find easier food.

< snip > They are diseased and carry rabies. < snip >

Just as much as any other animal. Stop spreading lies and rumors.

You'll have to trap them or shoot them or else they'll just keep coming back. No repellent will last long, they'll get used to it and eventually not even care it's there. A live trap is a good option, but you'll have to dispatch them once you catch them, they'll find their way back.

@duluthralphie can help you cook them once you catch em.
My father would put the live trap by the exhaust of a running car and gas them.

Thanks in advance!!!
12ga?

Thanks in advance!!!
Hi there! I live in an area with lots of raccoons and opossums and Fox,coyote etc. I used The Chicken Chicks guide to predator proofing around the bottom of my coop. Look her up. It requires hardware wire and a staple gun or screws. You dig around your coop about a foot and bury the wire with the bottom half curved away from the coop so they cannot dig under it. It needs to be secured to the bottom of the coop and run. You can also break up cheap clay pots and bury the shards in that ditch to deter them. Also take the food up at night and rake up the floor. Good luck. I think we’ve been very lucky here. I even feed a young opossum on my front porch each night and my chickens prefer to stay in their run all night so I know the wildlife knows about them.

I have found that paintball guns work well. They are a lot quieter than a real gun and really deter the coons from coming back. Works on most animals that want your flock. They hurt, but don't kill. Get yourself a good one. Freeze the paintballs for larger pests.

Thanks in advance!!!
Easily solved !! Since your coop is already built dig a small trench 4” wide by a minimum of 6” deep either around the inside perimeter of your coop or the outside... whichever is easiest for you. Get a couple bags of quickrete from your local hardware store. Mix it a little wet and sloppy and fill your trench to the top!! A raccoon will only spend so much time trying to get an easy meal and once it’s not an easy meal anymore they’ll move on. They’ll only try to dig down 6”-8”. After that it’s futile as they would have to dig an additional 6-8” in order to squeeze through to get in your coop. Don’t forget to trench under your door opening as well. I dug my trench after I had all my 4x4’s set before I built the coop. I learned this idea 6 or 7 years ago right here on byc!!
Another solution is if you have a nearby landscaping store or nursery Or quarry you can purchase large rocks... like 4” or 6” rip rap. Stack them around your outer perimeter A couple deep and a couple wide. Again, this makes your birds no longer an “easy” meal as these large rocks cannot be dug through or rolled away easily by the tiny hands of a raccoon. Hope this helps you and anyone else out there from losing any of your birds..... in 7 years I’ve not had one predator inside my coop !!!

Back
Top Bottom