Please Help! Raccoon Problem!!! Click Here!!!!!!!!

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but is it possible for you to just pour a cement floor right over the dirt? Otherwise, hardware cloth and extend it out around the coop a good 6 to 10 ft. I found something interesting that has helped me covered dig holes and openings in my chain link. It's sharp and will really hurt the paws, so nothing has gotten through. Some holes are relatively small and I just cut this stuff with a wire cutter. And thick gloves lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210123-120955_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-120955_Edge.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 7
Have not read all replies, but the way I exclude rats from digging under the coop is by laying metal flashing on top of the ground all around the coop. (Flashing is much better than hardware cloth because rats can't get their jaws around an individual piece of wire.)

It is much easier than trying to make an underground barrier which never seems to go down far enough. The digging animals seem to have the instinct to dig right next to what they want to get under, and don't seem to think of tunneling from a distance.

And btw, I totally agree that drowning is incredibly inhumane and I applaud you for maintaining civilized standards of conduct.

Raccoons are digging under our chicken coop! Yes, raccoons. :mad: :he:he:he:he:rant:rant:rant:rantDarn raccoons!!!! They have been extremely persistent. What are fairly cheap products that you use that are affective raccoon repellents? ANY INFO WILL BE WELCOMED, AND APPRECIATED!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
Hav-a-hart trap and bait with marshmallows. I guarantee you will catch them. I’ve been doing this for years and it works!

I have raccoons and fox that come by every night. I lined the entire floor of my run with hardware cloth (sides and top too). The coop has a solid plywood floor that is raised and has linoleum on the inside, so I can see if anyone is trying to get in. So far, I've had zero issues, but plan to do a hot wire on a timer for dusk to dawn if need be.

I’m in city also. We have stray cats,coyotes, raccoons (u name it). I keep mine in run that has hardware cloth even underneath, I only let free roam when can be supervised. I also lock run, chicken coop and nesting box at night. It’s a pain but works. Menards may have pee repellent for raccoons to spray around area. You could try chimes or something noisy. That may scare them away. Good luck.

I had a possum kill one of my roos recently, then 2 nights later I heard a big ruckus from the same gals in the same pen. Caught a possum with a mouth full of feathers... He looked like a spaghetti strainer by the time I was done! I had already hotwired around the lowest part of the big pen, but he was using the cedar tree to make a bridge to the Japanese privet that's in the center of the pen, and making his way down into the pen. Possums are sneaky that way. As for your raccoon problem... the flashing barrier below the fence line seems reasonable if you can't trap and kill the coons. Or keep a coon dog close by...woof.

Raccoons are digging under our chicken coop! Yes, raccoons. :mad: :he:he:he:he:rant:rant:rant:rantDarn raccoons!!!! They have been extremely persistent. What are fairly cheap products that you use that are affective raccoon repellents? ANY INFO WILL BE WELCOMED, AND APPRECIATED!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
I live in the country with a number of wild animals. I installed 1/2” hardware cloth around the pen. I covered it with dirt to alow the grass to grow up through the hardware cloth. I had one wild dog try to dig under the pen, when he got to the wire he stopped. Have not had any other problems.

I live in a city. Trap raccoons in live traps. There are zillions of the nasty things in a town. Do you know someone where you can take it out to the country to dispose of? We can't shoot them in town. Use a live trap and keep an eye on it so can release cats quickly. Raccoons are easy to trap. They will fight each other to get in a trap. You can even catch multiple ones at a time. Use a little cat food. You'll have to invest in a live trap for about $50.00 or so but sounds like you'll get lots of use out of it. Don't tell your neighbors what you are doing as there's always someone who'll make an uproar. Most will be delighted to reduce the raccoon population. They are very destructive animals. Be careful not to get scratched or bitten. They can carry rabies and other diseases.

Another thought --- someone told me about a family who likes to eat them. Find a way to find people who will deal with them and get your trap back immediately. I've eaten young raccoon fried and it's not bad.

Back
Top Bottom