Please help, raw swollen skin on chick's neck

Feed stores sell Nustock cream and pine tar in the horse aisle. Those or something like Vicks could deter pecking because of the bad taste and stickiness. I would leave her with her flock, but monitor her so they are not picking on her. Chicks at this age are working out their pecking order. Is she with any older birds who may be bullying her?

Now we have seen the others pecking her. When I got them out this morning she looked worse. I have separated her and will go to the feed store after work. She is very stressed about not being with the others. How long do I keep her apart? Is there anything else I should do for her?

Went to the feed store but they didn't have the products you mentioned. The sales guy encouraged me to try Blue-Kote. She is separated now and I ordered pine tar on line so I can apply that before she goes back with the others.

How long do I need to keep her separated? She is so unhappy.

I have her in a clear tub (the old brooder) where she can still see the other girls. I think I'll need to bring her in at night though, it won't be secure enough.

Any other suggestions? When can we try to reintegrate her?

Is there any way she can be separated with a little screen or plastic Poultry netting, so she can still see them? BluKote has worked for me to hide a wound, but make sure they don’t peck at the BluKote. Some say they have found that, but mine never did. If they are not pecking it, she could stay with the others. Just use your own judgement. I like to keep mine together if possible.

Back
Top Bottom