5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Please help. I am getting desperate.

Background info:
Aster
3 yo Brahma
First time broody

Gave Aster 3 chicks (I posted about it elsewhere). Stuck them under her last night. She was not accepting at first, so I tried again 2 hours later, and all went smoothly.

Checked on them this morning. They were all doing great! Mama was making happy mama clucks and showing babies what to eat in their isolation pen.

I just checked in on them, and she was going after them very aggressively. None are injured, thankfully. I brought them inside, and they are doing fine.

I can raise them, no problem, or give them to my other broody, Violet. But I'm seriously worried about Aster. I CANNOT break this hen's broodiness. I've tried the raised crate/broody jail for 5 days straight. I tried raised crate/broody jail with ice under it for a few more days. I dunked her in water on 2 separate occasions. I brought her inside (in the broody jail) to see if getting her away from the coop and my other broody would help. Nothing has worked. It's been over a month now. She's skin and bones and has plucked herself bald on her underside. She's the whole reason I got these chicks.

I am at a loss. What should I do?

Please help. I am getting desperate.

Background info:
Aster
3 yo Brahma
First time broody

Gave Aster 3 chicks (I posted about it elsewhere). Stuck them under her last night. She was not accepting at first, so I tried again 2 hours later, and all went smoothly.

Checked on them this morning. They were all doing great! Mama was making happy mama clucks and showing babies what to eat in their isolation pen.

I just checked in on them, and she was going after them very aggressively. None are injured, thankfully. I brought them inside, and they are doing fine.

I can raise them, no problem, or give them to my other broody, Violet. But I'm seriously worried about Aster. I CANNOT break this hen's broodiness. I've tried the raised crate/broody jail for 5 days straight. I tried raised crate/broody jail with ice under it for a few more days. I dunked her in water on 2 separate occasions. I brought her inside (in the broody jail) to see if getting her away from the coop and my other broody would help. Nothing has worked. It's been over a month now. She's skin and bones and has plucked herself bald on her underside. She's the whole reason I got these chicks.

I am at a loss. What should I do?
That must be hard to deal with! Considering you have already tried broody jail and some other methods, it seems she just wants to be broody. Because of her health I definitely agree that she needs to be broken of her broodiness. And as far as the chicks being pecked, it could be that Aster is a broody that likes to sit instead of raising chicks. What I mean by that is that some hens will sit and hatch eggs but are not very good mothers even when their chicks hatch out from under them.
As far as breaking her from her broodiness all I can suggest besides broody jail would be to collect all eggs as soon as possible so she has nothing to sit on. If she goes back to broody jail do the same thing by collecting the eggs right away.
Another method would be completely moving around the nesting boxes or nesting area so she is confused... not sure if that would work but it seems you're running out of options.
I'm sorry I'm not much help, it seems Aster is wanting to sit herself to death. I hope things get better, good luck!

That must be hard to deal with! Considering you have already tried broody jail and some other methods, it seems she just wants to be broody. Because of her health I definitely agree that she needs to be broken of her broodiness. And as far as the chicks being pecked, it could be that Aster is a broody that likes to sit instead of raising chicks. What I mean by that is that some hens will sit and hatch eggs but are not very good mothers even when their chicks hatch out from under them.
As far as breaking her from her broodiness all I can suggest besides broody jail would be to collect all eggs as soon as possible so she has nothing to sit on. If she goes back to broody jail do the same thing by collecting the eggs right away.
Another method would be completely moving around the nesting boxes or nesting area so she is confused... not sure if that would work but it seems you're running out of options.
I'm sorry I'm not much help, it seems Aster is wanting to sit herself to death. I hope things get better, good luck!
Thsnks for responding. She may be that type of hen. I could see that.

I am sitting here in the dark sobbing because I can't seem to do this. I know part of it is that I'm tired from staying up all night trying to get her to adopt these babies. But I feel like a complete failure. Starting to think I am not cut out for this chicken life.

Thsnks for responding. She may be that type of hen. I could see that.

I am sitting here in the dark sobbing because I can't seem to do this. I know part of it is that I'm tired from staying up all night trying to get her to adopt these babies. But I feel like a complete failure. Starting to think I am not cut out for this chicken life.
I'm sorry you have to go through that! It's nothing you are doing, when a hen goes broody their hormones completely take over and all they want to do it sit, sit, sit!
I've had broody hens but so far haven't had one that won't stop no matter what you try. I have heard of some people, especially with silkies, that have had the same issue and sometimes the hen will literally sit until she dies, or like I said above they'll sit but not want to raise the chicks. Looks like you have a lot of trouble on your hands. I would just either keep her in broody jail as long as possible, not allowing any eggs to stay in the crate or try to confuse her by moving around the nesting boxes/area.
Again, I'm sorry I can't help very much as I haven't experienced that (yet) but I hope something makes her snap out of it and you'll get some rest.

Have you tried letting her sit on ice cold eggs, (you need to have enough to rotate them out and keep them cold)? You have the food and water within reaching distance of where she wants to sit? I'd give her a vitamin boost and some mealworms for the fat.
She has food and water in the crate.

I just dunked off her agsin and put her back in the crate with the air conditioner on full blast (their coop has AC). I will see how she is tomorrow.

In the mean time, I've got 3 chicks I gotta figure out what to do with. I'll try broody #2.

I'm just so.... sad right now.

Question:

Aster rejected the chicks. Should I try again? Should I try broody #2? Or has that window passed? I'm good to raise them indoors, but it seems unnecessary given that I have 2 broody hens.

My other is Violet, a Silkie. She does a great job being broody and taking care of herself. I don't usually break my Silkies because they don't lose weight and cycle out of it naturally. Plus, they are ALWAYS broody. Doesn't do any good to break them, tbh.

If broody #2 has been sitting a while I'd give her the chicks and see if they'll stick with her.

Not sure what to suggest about your hardcore broody though, if she's been going on a month like this... :(
Yeah, it's crazy. And I didn't hesitate breaking her. I started the process as soon as I knew she was serious.

On the plus side, she seemed a little less zombie-like when I checked on her a little while ago. My hubby says we need to bring her inside for a while to see if we can get her to put some weight back on and keep her from getting dehydrated. You know it's serious when hubby wants to bring her in. I plan on doing just that as soon as this chick situation is settled - hopefully tomorrow.

Update:

Aster is still crazy broody this morning in broody jail. I'm getting a larger crate set up in the house in a bit. I'll try putting some weight back on her and keep her underside cool. Luckily, I have some time off right now, so I can keep a close eye on her. She can keep me company while I update my kitchen.

Broody #2 (Violet) took those babies right away. They are a very happy chicken family.

And I got some decent sleep last night.

Back
Top Bottom