PLEASE HELP: Running Out of Options with Broody

Tried that. Also put ice underneath.

The broody jail is a dog crate that I turned upside down so that the smaller wiring is under her. The crate has rather large openings where the plastic pan would go under a dog. She managed to squeeze out of the holes at the top to get to the nest. She's a big ol Brahma, and she somehow flew/climbed up and squeezed through a 4 inch opening to get back to a nest. No clue how. Nothing in there to really climb on because her food and water are in small containers at the bottom of the crate.
Mine climbed out the top too! Thought I was losing my mind when I found the locked and empty cage. I put a board with weights on top to end the escapes.

I am so sorry about your stressful situation. It can be frustrating when just. Won’t. Go. Smoothly. Agree with others about picking up and placing in front of food. For weight gain a little bit of fish (mackerel or bone in salmon) is full of nutrients. Good luck and hang in there :hugs

Good grief. Regular Shawshank Redemption going on in your jail.

I put HC on the floor of mine. Maybe you should add it to the top as well. 😳

As long as it's up high enough for good air flow, and you're keeping her cool, I'd just try your best to be patient. Definitely continue supportive care for her weight and hydration.

What are you feeding her?
Missed this reply somehow...

She's been getting everything I can think of. Her regular feed. Chick starter. Scrambled eggs. Boss. Yogurt. Worms. Shrimp. Tuna. Cat food (not my usual bc of sodium but I'm desperate). Baby food. Leftovers.

Mine climbed out the top too! Thought I was losing my mind when I found the locked and empty cage. I put a board with weights on top to end the escapes.
I thought I was going crazy, too!

Happened twice. First time, I thought I forgot to engage the latches and it somehow fell into place when the door shut (or something else equally improbable). Second time, I figured it out. It's got a board across the top with bungee cords to hold it down.

The broody jail is a dog crate that I turned upside down so that the smaller wiring is under her. The crate has rather large openings where the plastic pan would go under a dog. She managed to squeeze out of the holes at the top to get to the nest. She's a big ol Brahma, and she somehow flew/climbed up and squeezed through a 4 inch opening to get back to a nest. No clue how. Nothing in there to really climb on because her food and water are in small containers at the bottom of the crate.
Have seen this, you could put the tray on top, bungied down of course.
Might want to put a section of 2x4 on floor to give feet a break from the wire and to encourage roosting.

I put HC on the floor of mine. Maybe you should add it to the top as well. 😳
I used 1x2 cage ire on the bottom of crates, then most the poop falls out.

Who is it that also has broody breaking experience?

Is it you @aart?
I've broken 3 since early June.
3rd in there now.
2nd was during heat wave and I had to use a crate in the run during the hottest parts of the day because the coop was too hot.

Had a serial broody a few years ago, I moved her crate around to shady parts of the yard because it was brutally hot, I think the change of scenery helped break that event quicker. Her I ended up giving away after breaking 7 times, after hatching in Mar. She never went broody again.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor,
gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.

1627646639439.png

Have seen this, you could put the tray on top, bungied down of course.
Might want to put a section of 2x4 on floor to give feet a break from the wire and to encourage roosting.

I used 1x2 cage ire on the bottom of crates, then most the poop falls out.

I've broken 3 since early June.
3rd in there now.
2nd was during heat wave and I had to use a crate in the run during the hottest parts of the day because the coop was too hot.

Had a serial broody a few years ago, I moved her crate around to shady parts of the yard because it was brutally hot, I think the change of scenery helped break that event quicker. Her I ended up giving away after breaking 7 times, after hatching in Mar. She never went broody again.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor,
gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.

View attachment 2778687
Not sure you read what all I've tried, but I put her in the same set up (including 2x4) on day 2 once I knew she was serious about sitting. Left her in there for 3 days straight in their air conditioned run. Let her out on day 4 to see what she would do. She went straight into the nest. Did not pass go. Did not collect 200 dollars.

Put her back in jail without the 2x4 during the day (I put it back at night so she could sleep better) with AC on full blast for another 2 days. Let her out again. Straight to the nest.

At some point, I put a small portable fan under her, too. Not sure when.

Put her back in with a frozen 2 liter of water under the crate. Tried letting her out again. Back to the nest immediately.

A few days later, dunked her in water, and back in the crate.

Dunked again a few days later. Same result.

I did take her out a few times into the yard and set her down well away from the run. She'd lay there and peck at the ground for a bit, then jump up, scream like a banshee, and go back to the nest. I shut the coop door in a couple of those occasions to block her from getting in. She would pace at the door or try to fly at the door or the window to get back in.

And the other day, I tried chicks to no avail. They are know super happy with my Silkie, Violet, who is perhaps the most perfect chicken mama.

I started losing track of the days at some point, but I know it started 6/19 because I sent a text to my hubby on 6/21 telling him about having to break her.

She is now in my bathroom. I will keep her here a few days and try again to let her out in the yard (with the coop door closed). I'll try to fatten her up, too, and watch her water intake.

I see your point. But this is my favorite hen, as impractical as that is. If she won't break after another week, I will consider it.
Glad to hear the silkie hen took the chicks in!
Another thing I thought about today (because I have a broody hen that just hatched chicks out) would be to possibly find someone local that has a hen that has eggs under her that are about to hatch or someone with an incubator that has eggs that are going to hatch and then put them under her so they'll actually hatch underneath her and she'll think she did it. If I was local I would give you some eggs that will be hatching soon...
As far as getting her to eat, I'm not sure how to help with that. If she gets too bad I would maybe use a syringe and wet food, slowly inserting the food to the side of her beak.
Also, I would give either nutridrench or rooster booster in her water to give an extra boost. Sorry she hasn't improved much 😕

Glad to hear the silkie hen took the chicks in!
Another thing I thought about today (because I have a broody hen that just hatched chicks out) would be to possibly find someone local that has a hen that has eggs under her that are about to hatch or someone with an incubator that has eggs that are going to hatch and then put them under her so they'll actually hatch underneath her and she'll think she did it. If I was local I would give you some eggs that will be hatching soon...
As far as getting her to eat, I'm not sure how to help with that. If she gets too bad I would maybe use a syringe and wet food, slowly inserting the food to the side of her beak.
Also, I would give either nutridrench or rooster booster in her water to give an extra boost. Sorry she hasn't improved much 😕
Hadn't thought about the egg angle. That's a heck of an idea. I will ask around! And I just put NutriDrench in her water this morning.

I'm feeling more optimistic today. She's much perkier, not zombie-like, nor is she frantic. I'm kinda hoping she'll forget she's a chicken now that she's in the house.

Back
Top Bottom