1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help sex my 15 week old Australorps

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sophiejw, Oct 15, 2010.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I have four Australorps, they are 15 weeks old. I got a pic on the other day with one and one of my other birds and people thought she was a pullet. I've now managed to get pics of all four so if people could give me their thoughts as to what sex they think they are (sorry I can't remember which one I got a pic of last week, they all look pretty much the same to me, except one is suddenly looking alot smaller than the other three).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When they were tiny, we tried feather sexing them and from that got 2 boys and 2 girls, not sure if feather sexing works on Australorps though! Until recently thought it was right as there were two bigger ones and two smaller ones, now it's more like 3 big ones and 1 little one.....

Any thoughts appreciated [​IMG]

2. sophiejw

Jun 2, 2010
    Oh the small one has a smaller comb than any of the others- think she's the first pic....

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    They all look like pullets to me!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The bottom photo is of a cockerel. See those tail feathers, and the difference in the comb from the others? Also, at the base of the tail, the feathers there are starting to part and lay differently than the way they do on a pullet.

The rest look like pullets to me.

5. sophiejw

Jun 2, 2010
    Really? 3 pullets would be great [​IMG] 4 even better!

I was thinking the second one might be a bit cockerely- it and the fourth one are partners in crime- both huge and hang about together. Thought the wattles on the second one were looking quite red, but happy for it to be a pullet!

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:I see the tail feathers maybe sprouting but the hackle feathers are round not pointy like a cockeral. I'm no expert so just wondering?

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I think you have all girls...here is a photo of one of my BA roos of about the same age for comparison...

[​IMG]

8. LadyJayne

LadyJayne New Egg

Oct 16, 2010
    Yep, They deffinetly look like little ladies to me...I always find males tend to "Thump" to the ground as opposed to females who soften their landing with their wings. And most of my boys started or at least tried to crow at 3 months or so and also "dancing" as we tell my young nephews, with things like corn cobs and napkins [​IMG]

Hope that helps [​IMG]

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    at 6 weeks my BA roo had as large comb and wattle as your older girls so I am going to say pullets. Here is a pic of Jet at 6 weeks
    [​IMG]

10. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    1 and 3 pullets
    2 and 4 roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by