Please help sex my peafowl!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TXPeacockLady, Oct 13, 2014.

1. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I agree that the OP's chick is a Cameo not a Purple, but I think the reddish tint in the first picture is causing some questions. Your hen is beautiful, but she has a lot of white which makes it hard to use her as a comparison with the bird in question. Did she by any chance come from PA eggs? If she did, my Purples are half sisters, that I hatched from snowshoe eggs.

2. Hannah15

Hannah15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014

She did not, no. She came from California. My males did though. [​IMG] I had a fantastic hatch rate from snowshoe's eggs, and I am half the country away. The only problem was at least 6 of the 7 chicks I hatched from him were male! [​IMG]

I was concerned about the amount of white (to use her as a reference), but unfortunately she is the only purple hen that I have. I will try to get a couple pictures of her back, and I will take some of the male that I kept (who is solid with just a couple white feathers here and there) and is the same age as this chick if I remember correctly.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Lovely hen [​IMG]

4. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]Edit for a blond moment

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  5. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Now what?

6. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I posted a question that had nothing to do with this topic, i somehow (blond momented) it here not on the corrid thread [​IMG]

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Does anyone have a picture of a yearling cameo male? How old are they when they darken?

8. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Frosty go look on that new thread about the found peacock that was just posted
    it is a cameo looks young but then it could just be cause he lost his train anyhow last cameo male i saw grown was darker in the neck but when they are fixing to molt they are lighter anyhow as they fade with time.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    The reason I am asking is because I got 2 cameos last year so now they are a year old. I was thinking they were both hens but noticed that one was just a little bit darker than the other. That one has a spur on one leg. Color wise I still suspect hen but the spur (it just has one) has me wondering. It isn't like the little spur bumps I see on the other hens.

10. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    At a year of age the spurs on the hens are small and the males are thicker,bigger and more to a point with kinda a curve to it. can you post photos of them?
    I have a hen here with just one spur.
    Do you know what your cameos came from parent wise? like if the momma was a IB and dad was a cameo ,all cameos off spring would be hens and all IB's would be boys [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by