Please help sex my peafowl!

Do you know what your cameos came from parent wise? like if the momma was a IB and dad was a cameo ,all cameos off spring would be hens and all IB's would be boys
wink.png

And if it is the other way around? The hens are Cameo and the cock is IB with a split to? I ask because most of my IB chicks are hens this year, and I have no idea what my Cameos are.

If you look at Leggs peafowl under the link for basic genetics tells about all of the splits and what colors you can expect http://www.leggspeafowl.com/basicgenetics.htm.

I sent a PM to SDpeafowl (the chicks came from him). I know he said the father was IB split Cameo, but he never told me what the mother was. That might give me a clue, good thinking! I'll try to get some pictures...

And the boys will be split to cameo. And can produce cameo hens and males, If bred back to a cameo hen... George

Ok it's for sure now, he/she IS INDEED a Purple, the purple feathers have started popping up on his/her neck and top of head with the last couple of days (will share a picture later this evening if I have time). Mystery solved lol, thank you guys so much for the help!
thumbsup.gif

Now if I could just figure out what sex he/she is. She's quite a bit larger than my India blue, who've we've all agreed is peahen but she's only 1 week older. Not sure if maybe the purps get bigger than the Indias? He/She also likes to display those tail feathers and looks like a peacock when she does, but I'm not sure if that's only characteristic to the males or not? He/she is also more aggressive and is constantly stealing food right out of the Indias mouth.

Also I have started letting them free roam more and more each day, they seem to get along with the cats just fine, but, I'm worried about the dogs. We have 2 black labs, they killed all of our Guineas last year and I don't want that happening to the peafowl. So far I've been putting the dogs in the kennel while the birds are out but I'd like to integrate them to all be out together without fear of murder, so how should I go about this? Should I put the dogs on a leash and let them be around the birds slowly or should I just let the dogs loose and hope the peafowl are smart enough to fly up to a branch or the barn? I'm really at a brick wall here...

Photos please.
pop.gif

how old are the labs what kind of prey drive do they have, how long have you had birds and do you keep the labs near by where they can see the birds all the time?
I Have worked with labs with high prey drive and it takes tons of work to detoured them from killing birds but it can be done then i have trained and owned labs that could be trusted 24/7 with birds, what you can do with your dog is going to depend on you and your ability to work with the dogs and the dog itself.

Do you use these dogs for retrieving/hunting?

This not my department, but it seems that if you are seeing actually purple-colored feathers, than your baby is likely to be a boy - the purple gals stay mostly light rusty browns. The purple people will be able to tell you more!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom