Please Help!!! She is going to die!!!

chicken little 2017

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
Hi All!
My sweet frizzle hen is sick. A few weeks ago she had a swollen eye. I cleaned the coop and put drops in her eye which later cleared up. Now she is unable to stand or walk and will not eat. She is also very skinny. I need help! I have given her vitamin B , boiled eggs, rooster booster and she keeps getting worse! No one else is sick and I’m at a loss as to why she is so sick. I’m scared she is going to die. Someone please help!!!

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
This is from the notice at the top of this forum. These questions will give us a good general background to allow us to begin to try to help you.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you. We need to know where you live in the world so we have an idea of your climate and what sort of meds you can access.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
Midland, tx
Hi All!
My sweet frizzle hen is sick. A few weeks ago she had a swollen eye. I cleaned the coop and put drops in her eye which later cleared up. Now she is unable to stand or walk and will not eat. She is also very skinny. I need help! I have given her vitamin B , boiled eggs, rooster booster and she keeps getting worse! No one else is sick and I’m at a loss as to why she is so sick. I’m scared she is going to die. Someone please help!!!
Is she eating and drinking? If not then it's time to start forcing feeding her. I would do a wet mash to make it easier. How does her poop look?

chicken little 2017

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
Is she eating and drinking? If not then it's time to start forcing feeding her. I would do a wet mash to make it easier. How does her poop look?
Hi. She is not eating or drinking. I have been giving her vitamin b12 with vitamin E and water through an oral syringe. She can’t seem to move her legs and is VERY skinny. Her poop is normal. I also gave her vet extra on her comb just in case it would help.

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
Midland, tx
Hi. She is not eating or drinking. I have been giving her vitamin b12 with vitamin E and water through an oral syringe. She can’t seem to move her legs and is VERY skinny. Her poop is normal. I also gave her vet extra on her comb just in case it would help.
If shes not eating then that's why shes losing weight. I would wet some feed and put small pieces in her beak. Hopefully she will swallow. I'm suprised her poop is normal with no food. Vetrx wont fix anything, it's like how we use vicks. Does she have any nasal or mouth discharge? Is the swelling gone? Any smell around her face? Does she seem paralyzed or just too weak to stand?

chicken little 2017

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
So, she is still alive. She is not able to move her legs. I’m wondering if I should cull. I hate to do so but I don’t want her to suffer. She does not have any nasal drip or sneezing. I recently treated the flock with Corrid for coccidia. Her poop is normal and her comb is a light red color. I will give her some mash with honey and more vitamin B12. What else should I do for her?

coach723

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? I would suggest that if you don't see improvement on vitamin supplements then other causes have to be considered. Have you ever had Marek's disease in your flock? Depending on age, cancers are possible. If she doesn't make it, I would recommend you have her necropsied to know for sure what it is. If it's Marek's then that would be good to know for your flock going forward. Or it could be something completely different that is not going to impact the rest of the flock, which would bring peace of mind.

Top Bottom