Please help..should we worry?

Iloveourbabychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hickory,NC
We have an 8 day old baby chick. We hatched her from an incubator.She was the only one who made it.Shes peeping good,eating good,drinking good.Acting happy.Shes got a lamp,starter feed.everything she needs.A mirror....Shes grown feathers on her wings.And we just recently started noticing her leaning toward the right side where it seems she has the most feathers. It seems like they are growing fast.Can these feathers on such a young lil chick be very heavy for her and cause her to lean toward one side?We are freaking out here.Shes a part of our family. Is it normal for her feathers to be heavy for her?When her wings go down,she goes down but then gets right back up.Does she need antibiotics?Help please.
Thanks

The only thing I can say is wait. Are her legs alright? And I can't think of anything related to heavier feather growth on one side.
It may be something neuro, but its too early to say. I think some of the more senior members here will say it may be a vitamin deficiency, so you might want to get some Baby vitamins, or even better would be poultry vitamins, even parrot vitamins.
Just keep updating, and eventually someone will have some idea.

Thanks you guys...Yes her legs are good.Shes stretching them out to the side sometimes.Its like they are too long to keep under hereShe has grown an awful lot in a week.She is only 8 days old.She will eat and then lay down.Its different then shes been acting.This has happened after we took her sugar out of the water and after she grew the feathers.We know put the sugar back in.Please pray you guys for Happy(her name).Thanks again

Stop with sugar water. That is for an extreme emergency energy boost. Repeated sugar water becomes a laxative. You will cause pasty butt issues.

If you think she needs something put apple cider vinegar in her water. You can give 3 drops of infants poly-vi-sol vitamins for a week.

Ok thanks so much.What does the apple cider do?and how much would we give to her per gallon?does it have to be organic?we will get the vitamins tomorrow.

Apple Cider Vinegar gives an immune system boost.

3 drops baby vitamins carefully on the edge of the beak once a day not in the water. If it is having nuerological problems this can help.

Let us know how she it does for you.

Good luck with your chick.

Thanks so much.Anyother questions I will be here.You guys are life savers.We will give you an ipdate on here.We are watching her all the time.We will do the vinegar and the baby vitamines.

an update on Happy..Shes seems stronger this afternoon.Still drinking,eating,peeing,pooping good and singing to herself.People have told us from day one that if she didnt have a friend she would die. My father who doesnt live with us,has eggs thats due to hatch this week. So we are gonna get one and put it in the incubator and hatch it and after a few days put her in with Happy.That could be her problem.She could be sad and want a friend. We gave her her drops of Poly vi sol..very lil drops because she hated it.Shes rubbing her beak everywhere. We shredded up newspaper in there so its better for her feet to grab onto.Tonight we are gonna make a lil space for her to run around in and see how she does. So everything you told me is working good. We are ust watching her.Her wings still seem to go down but hopefully these vit and stuff will work.Thanks so much again.

Back
Top Bottom