Please Help! Sick chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PamB, Jul 29, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm new and not sure what to do. One of our chicks about 4 weeks old has blood stool. Otherwise, the chick is acting absolutely fine, running around, eating, drinking, etc. Should I treat them all with CoRid? If so, does anyone know how much to give chicks at that age. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm completely clueless. Everything I can find online says bloody stool = cocci. But, like I said, no other symptoms. I'm thinking I should just treat them all for that. Then, I'm wondering do I have to dump all the shavings and give them new? If I should do that, do I do it now and again when they are done treating and (hopefully) all better. I'm just sitting here stressed waiting until the Tractor Supply Store opens so I can get something. I just hope I treat them for the right thing.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    do you feed them medicated chick starter? sometimes a chicken will have a poo that look rose colored and kind of sticky this is normal but if its blood red thats not. watch to see if it happens again and which one is doing it . then start on corid. The bottle will tell you how much. Always keep you coop and waterers clean. Look at their water would you drink out of it? If you wouldnt then they shouldnt. Keeping clean usually will keep you from getting cocci but if you already have it treat for it and good housekeeping is a must.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I just replied to your other post about this... You should treat all the chicks that may have it since they may not be showing signs yet. Some chicks will act sick while others will run around as if nothing is wrong..... Do not let them eat the bloody stools! I would keep the infected on separate from the others.. good luck!

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for the replies. I got some medicine and put it in the water and gave the mixture to the sick one with a dropper to make sure she'd get some. Also, I cleaned the whole brooder, food dish, & water dish. Hoping we caught it in time and that we did enough.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by