Please Help! Sick chick!

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
I'm new and not sure what to do. One of our chicks about 4 weeks old has blood stool. Otherwise, the chick is acting absolutely fine, running around, eating, drinking, etc. Should I treat them all with CoRid? If so, does anyone know how much to give chicks at that age. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm completely clueless. Everything I can find online says bloody stool = cocci. But, like I said, no other symptoms. I'm thinking I should just treat them all for that. Then, I'm wondering do I have to dump all the shavings and give them new? If I should do that, do I do it now and again when they are done treating and (hopefully) all better. I'm just sitting here stressed waiting until the Tractor Supply Store opens so I can get something. I just hope I treat them for the right thing.

do you feed them medicated chick starter? sometimes a chicken will have a poo that look rose colored and kind of sticky this is normal but if its blood red thats not. watch to see if it happens again and which one is doing it . then start on corid. The bottle will tell you how much. Always keep you coop and waterers clean. Look at their water would you drink out of it? If you wouldnt then they shouldnt. Keeping clean usually will keep you from getting cocci but if you already have it treat for it and good housekeeping is a must.

I just replied to your other post about this... You should treat all the chicks that may have it since they may not be showing signs yet. Some chicks will act sick while others will run around as if nothing is wrong..... Do not let them eat the bloody stools! I would keep the infected on separate from the others.. good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I got some medicine and put it in the water and gave the mixture to the sick one with a dropper to make sure she'd get some. Also, I cleaned the whole brooder, food dish, & water dish. Hoping we caught it in time and that we did enough.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom