Please help. Sick chicken, started with pooping yolk.

JenniYoung

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Koax, our beautiful black Ameraucana, laid an egg the day before yesterday. 5 or 6 hours later, she squatted to poop, and egg yolk came out. Not yellow poop - egg yolk. I followed her for a moment, and she squatted again, and she pushed out a strand of what looked like the soft but sturdy protective layer between a shell and a white. I thought maybe it was too soon for a shell to be formed.

Yesterday, she started seeming sick. By the end of the day, she was walking super-slow, barely eating, and she had gone to the nesting box three times to lay with nothing to show for it. I have felt around and can't find any lumps or anything except that she seems lighter. Her eyes look bright. Her feathers look healthy. She has gone to talk a couple of times, and the sound is very quiet. I gave her a warm bath, and it didn't seem to do anything significant.

Last night she had a little (very little) watery poop with a bunch of white and three little blood clumps.

Any ideas on what this is or how to help? Thank you so much if you can help or point me to someone who can. She is one of our favorite chickens, and this is a new issue for us. I have done a lot of reading and still feel very unsure of how to care for her.

Koax, our beautiful black Ameraucana, laid an egg the day before yesterday. 5 or 6 hours later, she squatted to poop, and egg yolk came out. Not yellow poop - egg yolk. I followed her for a moment, and she squatted again, and she pushed out a strand of what looked like the soft but sturdy protective layer between a shell and a white. I thought maybe it was too soon for a shell to be formed.

Yesterday, she started seeming sick. By the end of the day, she was walking super-slow, barely eating, and she had gone to the nesting box three times to lay with nothing to show for it. I have felt around and can't find any lumps or anything except that she seems lighter. Her eyes look bright. Her feathers look healthy. She has gone to talk a couple of times, and the sound is very quiet. I gave her a warm bath, and it didn't seem to do anything significant.

Last night she had a little (very little) watery poop with a bunch of white and three little blood clumps.

Any ideas on what this is or how to help? Thank you so much if you can help or point me to someone who can. She is one of our favorite chickens, and this is a new issue for us. I have done a lot of reading and still feel very unsure of how to care for her.
Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

my chickens have been recovering from the infectious bronchitis. due to the virus 2 of them are laying soft shell eggs. today I noticed that 1 of them had dirty yellow but. when I came near I saw a few yolk drops behind her. unfortunately I cannot catch her, she is very wild and flighty. I am afraid that the soft shell is still inside her. I am still giving them antibiotics. will that help if she has got shell or yolk inside?

Back
Top Bottom