Please help!! Sick rooster who can't balance, and has recently developed breathing issues.

My two year old Silkie Rooster Fluff started having balancing issues about two weeks ago. He fell off his perch twice while I was trying to put him to bed, and the next day wasn't able to walk more than a meter or two without falling on the ground. Most of the time he picked himself up and carried on but others he'd end up on his side, turning himself around in circles with his legs. I also noticed that he had lost A LOT of weight so I started bringing him in for feedings during the day, and keeping him in a large dog cage in my room during the night to prevent additional injury/pecking.

Fluff quickly lost his ability to stay balanced when on his feet; he would either tip forward, fall back, or on to his side (mostly his right) when standing, and do a somersault onto his side if he tried to walk. Once on his side he would either just lay there, or use his legs to spin himself in a circle. Because of this he has been living in his makeshift home for over a week now.

By himself he's willing to eat a bit of hen scratch, fresh spinach leaves, and hydrated laying pellets with a touch of molasses and honey added... I have been having to spend over two hours a day trying to get him to eat enough of food to keep him going (I have also been giving him regular laying pellets, and watered down 6% probiotic yogurt). He is also burping a lot, both by himself, and with my help... He's been cleaning his chest feathers, clucking (and even crowing occasionally in the morning), is alert, and tries to get out of his nest when he poos in it (I'm always removing poo and placing him back in it). His poos tend to be normal though occasionally he has diarrhea.

Just recently he seems to have developed breathing issues though.. He's been breathing through his beak in a gasping sort of way, especially after a feeding. I've been giving him antibiotics, and anti inflammatories prescribed by a vet for the last 6 days but there's been no improvement! The vet even gave him a vitamin shot, and full examination/crop wash to check for hints as to what it could be. He's been dewormed, and treated for mites recently too.

I've been trying to take him outside everyday to visit his hens, and try to exercise as well. He loves watching the hens, and clucks up a storm with them while he's out there (in my arms due to his balance problems). To try and exercise him I lightly cup his torso and allow him to move his legs and 'walk' around; if I remove my hands he somersaults and lands on his side. He is able to curl his toes around my finger, though sometimes less than others. Fluff's wings are hanging loose in addition to his leg/balance problems, though his neck seems to be unaffected.

Basically I'm at a loss; I've been trying everything I can, but nothing is helping! I would love to avoid putting Fluff to sleep if possible but I don't want him suffering. If anyone has ANY advice about possible causes, treatments, or timelines for when we should either see improvement or put him to sleep, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you to all who took the time to read this whole thing...
Hi. My rooster is having the same problems but is breathing fine. Checkers135, your rooster might have a broken neck. Take his neck in your hand and gently feel around and see if there is anything unusual. My rooster doesn't have a broken neck and we gave him de-wormer and vitamins, plus amoxicillin. It is fine to give your chicken that human medicine. It will likly help with an ear infection what might also cause loss of balance.
- Maddog

Back
Top Bottom