Please help! Sick silkie and seems to be progressing quick! What should I do?

Still no change. The sign that is much more obvious than the others is her lifting her neck up and gasping a lot. She also mimics a movement with her mouth like she is tasting something. Opening and closing while moving her tongue. If that makes sense?

Thank you Emma! I am a novice myself which makes it frustrating to not be able to do anything for her.

I know I am probably being a pest and I apologize, I just want to help my girl and going to continue to give updates in hope someone can help. She perked up enough where I wanted to bring her outside to observe her. If someone could watch the video I took and give me some feedback, I would appreciate so so much.

She started off very shaky and got a little better. Still stumbling every so often and walking goofy. She also got more tired as time went on. She is back inside sleeping in her basket again.

Please! Anyone!?

I think I could be making things worse and may have had her aspirate water. Please anyone, I have no idea what I am doing and I think I could be losing her. She is freaking out and wont stay calm. Can anyone offer me any advice? Anyone!

Can you tell if her eyes are half-closed because she can't open them or because she's not feeling well?

Electrolytes shouldn't be given with tetracyclines. They bind ions such as calcium or magnesium. The usual advice is to hold off on those and to give tetracycline on a very empty stomach because it'll react with minerals in the food.

It looks like something respiratory is going on and she is struggling to breathe. The swallowing motions may be due to excess mucus coming down from the sinuses through the choana into the mouth due to sinusitis. Or it could be excess phlegm coming up from the trachea due to bronchitis/pneumonia. It's also possible both are happening at the same time. This excess mucus will either be shaken out of an open mouth or swallowed b/c it has to go somewhere.

You want to open her beak and have a good look in there. If excess mucus isn't obvious, take a Q-tip or other swab and see how much phlegm is in the trachea.

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/Visible_Indicators_of_Health.html

Read the section on mucus in particular.

If everything looks more or less normal then you have to consider other things such as gapeworm.

Thank you war chicken for you response:

Her eyes look good and clear. They are definitely half shut because she isnt feeling well. Almost as if she is so weak, she cant keep them open.

How do you suggest I go about meds then? She does not eat at all except when I force small amounts of yolk into her via syringe. Should I stop yolks and electrolytes and just do the water/tetracycline?

Do you suggest she gets Tylan instead. I am thinking about trying to go find some at a store because when I have been searching on here, I see it brought up a lot as the ideal method. I am willing to give her injections if that is what is best!

I didnt see anything in her mouth at all. I swapped it and it came back wet, somewhat slimy but clear colored. As if it was just quickly swabbed in a humans mouth. What does that say? She hated when I did it and started shaking afterwards!

Also, she has barely pooped all day. Just a little early this morning and looked normal and now just a tiny bit and only what is stuck to her feathers :(

Last edited:
Can anyone advise if I should switch to Tylan injections or stick to the Duramycin given by forced syringe?

Also, any clues at what it is and if I should worry about my other 2 girls?

Can anyone advise if I should switch to Tylan injections or stick to the Duramycin given by forced syringe?

Also, any clues at what it is and if I should worry about my other 2 girls?
I wouldn't worry about the other birds. At the same time however, keep a wary eye on them just to be safe, as respiratory diseases can be contagious. As to what it is, the only answer I can give is that it's a severe respiratory problem. Combined with the neuro issues you mentioned earlier, it looks like it's weakening her.
Have a look at this link: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/respiratory-illness-in-chickens.html

Whatever you choose to give her via syringe, don't keep forcing it if she tries to refuse. She might get even more stressed out and hurt herself.

Yolk is fine but hold the electrolytes or at the very least give the Duramycin several hours later (or earlier). Tetracycline and tylosin have a synergistic effect so you should probably give both.

Back
Top Bottom