Please help sneezing chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kristina51402, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kristina51402

Kristina51402 New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    I recently bought new chickens and we kept them separate from ours for almost two days, they seemed fine then we put them all in the same coop the next day I heard one of the new chickens sneezing then the next day three of the new ones eyes were swelled shut and all the others sneezing now four days later my whole flock is sneezing and some of them have swelled shut eyes too. Please tell me anything I can try to help them I also have turkey's in the flock but they don't seem sick yet. I have long lasting penicillin but don't know how or how much or if I should give it to them

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    It won't help now, but for future reference, you should keep new birds isolated for at least two weeks, preferably longer.
    For now, I would remove the sick ones and treat the symptoms. Vet rx is a good place to start.

3. [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You should isolate new chickens for at least 30 days. Your chickens could have mycoplasma G also known as CRD, or possibly coryza. Tylan 50 injections or Tylan Soluble Powder would treat this, but your chickens will be carriers.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds respiratory to me. I give Duramycin in drinking water for a week.

6. Kristina51402

Kristina51402 New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your replies, started them on tylan 50. Hoping this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by