Please help! Something attacked my hen!

I put her on the roost. So she didn’t have to fly up there. I just figured she would like that normal environment with her friends. I can clip feathers for sure. Will that hurt her? I’ve never clipped feathers before…
It won't hurt her to cut her feathers. It's like cutting hair. The only feathers you can't trim are new feathers when they look like pins, they have a blood supply.

She doesn’t have spurs. I’m going to give it a go at cutting her nails though.. I worry this may make them more sharp?
I didn't see anyone answer this so forgive if it was already replied to. But yes, trimming nails will make the edges sharp but you can easily round the fresh cut edges with a nail file. 😊

I think you might separate Mildred from the other hens if you can. I wonder if she's having hormonal issues. Let's ask @azygous or @EggCentric, this is pretty weird. As for your injured hen, can you keep her in the house or a garage till the wound heals over? To protect her from flies? Getting maggots in the wound is called fkystrike and is very serious.
I can keep her in the house. I worry it will stress her out but I can absolutely crate her safely in my house. Mildred has gotten worse with this mounting.. 2 girls in particular.. she is head hen.. 2.5 year old sex link. Normally nice but relentless to these two other hens. I think she caused this :( I could isolate her if needed? Thank you all for all the help! So worried about my Lilac.. such a sweet girl 😭🙏🏻💕

Can you place her crate in the run during the day so she can still be near her friends? She will be much more content.

Be sure to give the amoxy pill whole directly into the beak by prying it open and shoving it inside. Do not waste time or the dose by trying to dilute it or hide it in food. It's not necessary. Chickens can swallow a pill much easier than you can.

You have an aggressive hen doing damage to the others. There is no easy solution other than culling which, if you can bring yourself to do it, is the easiest solution. Trying to change the behavior may not work.

If the wound is not very visible, and if Mildred can't get to her, she may be okay out of the crate. The would will show signs of healing by getting smaller. You will see new tissue growing around the perimeter, developing a "rim" called granulation. The wound should be pink and not be developing scabs. If scabs are forming, it means it's drying out. That should not be allowed to happens. The ointment needs to be applied a few times a day to prevent drying out. New tissue can't form if it dries out. Sort of like a plant, it needs moisture and keeping the ointment on the wound keeps the moisture in the tissues.

Saddles are not tolerated by all hens. You can try them but be prepared for the hens to escape the garments. You cannot rely on them to protect the hens.

Can you put her inside at night so she doesn't have to fly to roost? She may have overdid it. The area where her wound is stretches and moves with her wings, which is another reason her wing is dropping. Can you trim the feathers around the wound some more? Just to make sure that every part of the wound is visible.

I would have done the same to check for flystrike. Keep her on the antibiotics and keep cleaning her wound.

Thought I’d share an update on sweet Lilac. It’s been a week since her injury. She is still healing for sure. Seems to be getting smaller. No infection. I’ve reintroduced her to the flock for majority of the day and all seems peaceful. She is smart enough to hide under her favorite bush while Mildred is walking around and I trust she can handle herself. I’m going to continue to separate them a few hours each morning so she can eat and drink unbothered and not feeling she needs to be looking over her shoulder. Then I let her enjoy freedom with entire flock. She seems to enjoy that most! She enjoys laying in sun and letting it hit her boo boo. I think we are officially on the mend. I’m still cleaning it 2x a day and I do help her up onto roost and down at night to avoid that area splitting but basically back to normal! I hope it stays calm! Here are all my girls enjoying a nap together 🥰🙏🏻🐓 Thank you for all the help eveyone! This community has helped me so many times and I’m so grateful!

Attachments

• C4A30E5B-A6F1-49A0-A233-7D4659FC9454.jpeg
    C4A30E5B-A6F1-49A0-A233-7D4659FC9454.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Good job getting her wounds taken care of! I just got all caught up in this thread. Would pinless peelers help in a situation like this?
Thank you! I’m not sure? This is the first I’ve heard of these! They free range all day so I don’t want to put something on her that would prevent her from being able see a predator. Along with the occasional mounting she is also the one who lets flock know of danger! She doesn’t peck my girls.. just the occasional mount. ? I’m thinking saddling her “favorite” or “least favorite” may be best once healed…? This is Mildred.. I actually feel a bit bad for her knowing her horomones must be all array.. I’m guessing there is something going on…

Attachments

• E1E656CB-A08A-4B6C-B441-C8AA1E3C1C97.jpeg
    E1E656CB-A08A-4B6C-B441-C8AA1E3C1C97.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom