Please help! Something attacked my hen!

It might help by removing Mildred from the pecking order, forcing her down to a lower rank when she returns. You won't know until you try it.
I’m only assuming Mildred caused this? Does this look like a mounting wound? I’ve been seeing Mildred mount Lilac recently, Lilac has been hiding from her lately and now this wound hence my assumption. Could this have been a predator? If so it would have to have been during the day.. they are locked up tightly at night?

We have a rooster, the only damage I have seen in my flock is one hen had a lot of broken feathers on her back. I have her in a saddle now until her feathers grow back. She has tried to take it off, but hasn't been able to.

It might help by removing Mildred from the pecking order, forcing her down to a lower rank when she returns. You won't know until you try it.
Here is the wound today after work.. I cleaned again with saline, antibacterial ointment and Vetericyn. Looks like I may need to clean that edge a bit better? She seems to be mentally ok.. supervising freeranging. She certainly is timid. She is eating and drinking.. should I reclean this wound. I really need a second person. I tried tonight with soap/water and saline.. qtips.. and even tweezers to remove that but it doesn’t come off? How many days should I do amoxicillian? I hope she will be ok! 🙏🏻 One of those pics has ointment on it.I just too realized I was using multi purpose contact solution instead of plain saline? Ugh! It doesn’t have a cleaner in it.. I’ll get plains saline tomorrow.. I hope I didn’t make this worse. I assumed my contact solution was saline! I was able to get real saline tonight and I rinsed and cleaned again.

Attachments

• 08BCC6B3-1A5E-4FDE-A30F-BCD31DB6A259.jpeg
    08BCC6B3-1A5E-4FDE-A30F-BCD31DB6A259.jpeg
    664.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 66C60D0F-CA59-4689-8757-6428326C5AFB.jpeg
    66C60D0F-CA59-4689-8757-6428326C5AFB.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 0660D857-9AC4-4BD0-BCE9-301F4CE074AC.jpeg
    0660D857-9AC4-4BD0-BCE9-301F4CE074AC.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B5976F10-AB28-4B13-81DC-63F87AA5EF91.jpeg
    B5976F10-AB28-4B13-81DC-63F87AA5EF91.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DB427F57-76E8-41BE-97A2-6664E2080969.jpeg
    DB427F57-76E8-41BE-97A2-6664E2080969.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here is the wound today after work.. I cleaned again with saline, antibacterial ointment and Vetericyn. Looks like I may need to clean that edge a bit better? She seems to be mentally ok.. supervising freeranging. She certainly is timid. She is eating and drinking.. should I reclean this wound. I really need a second person. I tried tonight with soap/water and saline.. qtips.. and even tweezers to remove that but it doesn’t come off? How many days should I do amoxicillian? I hope she will be ok! 🙏🏻 One of those pics has ointment on it.I just too realized I was using multi purpose contact solution instead of plain saline? Ugh! It doesn’t have a cleaner in it.. I’ll get plains saline tomorrow.. I hope I didn’t make this worse. I assumed my contact solution was saline! I was able to get real saline tonight and I rinsed and cleaned again.
The wound looks great! Is there any odor? Keep this up for another few days, I would do five days of amoxicillin and then reevaluate.

The wound looks great! Is there any odor? Keep this up for another few days, I would do five days of amoxicillin and then reevaluate.
It looks good !? Geez I’d hate so see bad! 😂🙈 no odor. I’m continuing all that I’m doing and separating my flock today. The nice girls in large run and mean girl with her best friend can free range. I’ll need to keep them seperate until she heals and my saddles come in. These are rooster problems! I only have hens! 😂 Thank you. Love to get some more opinions on how this is healing.

It looks good !? Geez I’d hate so see bad! 😂🙈 no odor. I’m continuing all that I’m doing and separating my flock today. The nice girls in large run and mean girl with her best friend can free range. I’ll need to keep them seperate until she heals and my saddles come in. These are rooster problems! I only have hens! 😂 Thank you. Love to get some more opinions on how this is healing.
My hens scalped one of my chicks this year, from behind his comb to bottom of his neck. 😢 With @MysteryChicken help he has made a complete recovery. The wound is showing great progression, there's pink skin, I don't see puss or angry red inflammation. It looks really good. The gray looking pieces looks like scab.

If you want to be able to remove more of the gray looking material, give her a warm compress in that area. It should help loosen anything that can be rubbed off then.

My hens scalped one of my chicks this year, from behind his comb to bottom of his neck. 😢 With @MysteryChicken help he has made a complete recovery. The wound is showing great progression, there's pink skin, I don't see puss or angry red inflammation. It looks really good. The gray looking pieces looks like scab.

If you want to be able to remove more of the gray looking material, give her a warm compress in that area. It should help loosen anything that can be rubbed off then.
How is nature so cruel! I’m glad your girl recovered 🙏🏻 Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom