Please help! Something attacked my hen!

Pics
It won't hurt her to cut her feathers. It's like cutting hair. The only feathers you can't trim are new feathers when they look like pins, they have a blood supply.
When do you think I could safely put a saddle on her? I assume after this wound has healed?
It won't hurt her to cut her feathers. It's like cutting hair. The only feathers you can't trim are new feathers when they look like pins, they have a blood supply.

Yes, once it's covered with new skin and the scab has fallen off.
Day 6! It’s healing.. I think! No smell.. she however is so timid. She hides under a bush most of the day.. :( I’m hoping she gets her confidence back. How often should I continue cleaning this wound? Lilac says thank you for all the help!

Attachments

• EEFE9B0F-879D-4313-8D3C-BD1FEF29CF29.jpeg
    EEFE9B0F-879D-4313-8D3C-BD1FEF29CF29.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 42F66898-636F-4342-B2CC-41D83889D0E4.jpeg
    42F66898-636F-4342-B2CC-41D83889D0E4.jpeg
    780.5 KB · Views: 5
Thought I’d share an update on sweet Lilac. It’s been a week since her injury. She is still healing for sure. Seems to be getting smaller. No infection. I’ve reintroduced her to the flock for majority of the day and all seems peaceful. She is smart enough to hide under her favorite bush while Mildred is walking around and I trust she can handle herself. I’m going to continue to separate them a few hours each morning so she can eat and drink unbothered and not feeling she needs to be looking over her shoulder. Then I let her enjoy freedom with entire flock. She seems to enjoy that most! She enjoys laying in sun and letting it hit her boo boo. I think we are officially on the mend. I’m still cleaning it 2x a day and I do help her up onto roost and down at night to avoid that area splitting but basically back to normal! I hope it stays calm! Here are all my girls enjoying a nap together 🥰🙏🏻🐓 Thank you for all the help eveyone! This community has helped me so many times and I’m so grateful!

Attachments

• C4A30E5B-A6F1-49A0-A233-7D4659FC9454.jpeg
    C4A30E5B-A6F1-49A0-A233-7D4659FC9454.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Setup a pamper pen in your garage or shed. All the fixings and a big nest box with lots of her favorite nest materials. Dedicate some time to give her yard time alone or with a trusted buddy daily till recovered. Pay attention to wounds as needed while treating properly. Separating from the bully can reset pecking order sometimes. Perhaps select her BFF to join her on spa break.

I'm really hoping to see the rest of that wound when you clip the feathers on that side. Everything we can see looks real good, you're doing a great job!

Back
Top Bottom