Please help?!!!! Something Is Terribly Wrong With My Gander

juls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Colorado
Three days ago my gander Hank (an Embdem) just disappeared. His mate was up close to the house on the porch but he couldn't be found anywhere. I was frantic and I thought I'd lost him forever. Then early yesterday he showed up by the enclosure! He was standing but shakey and wobbly and looking like he wasn't really all here. He's normally pretty sassy but there was no sass in him at all. I noticed a small smear of blood on his front, lower right side but could feel no injury and he didn't respond when I pressed around the area. There didn't appear to be any other sign of that he'd been roughed up. I bedded him down in the goose house for the night. He drank a lot of water but wasn't interested in food or even laying down. Today he is up and about, appearing more alert and is vocalizing with his mate, but he's moving very slowly like something hurts him and is sleepy. There's not a vet within miles who will even look at Hank. If anyone can give me some ideas that could help my guy, both Lois (his mate) and I would be very grateful. It's just killing me to see him like this and not be able to do anything to help.

Quote:
Geese, when injured, hide puncture wounds very easily. Were I you, I'd find the place where you felt blood and look carefully under the feathers for any signs of a puncture wound. Then look all over him - you really actually have to use your eyes because of their thick down.

I would also make sure that you give him vitamins/electrolytes in the water for a day. Wet his feed (with vitamin/electrolyte water) to try to get him to eat. When my geese were in shock, that's how I got them to have a little more energy and eat - they wouldn't eat their normal food. Because he's been gone, it's very important that his nutrients/electrolytes be replaced particularly as he's in shock. I'd do that no less than 3 days.

What are his droppings like?

If you find wounds, you will want to clip the heavy down away from that area but not to far away from the edge of the wound. Clean the punctures out with a needle-less syringe or dropper (if possible) filled with hydrogen peroxide mixed with water (about 2/3 H2O2, 1/3 water) to clean out any debris that has been in the wound and yes to 'burn' the germs. The hydrogen peroxide is a one-time thing. Then you follow up clean with iodine/water (light iced tea colored mixture, warm) and then pat that dry. Then dress with Neosporin.

Let's start with that and see what happens next with him.

Thank you so much Natalie - I'm getting on it right now and will let you know how Hank responds.

We don't have venemous snakes around here - thank goodness! - but we have our fair share of racoons, coyotes and neighborhood dogs running lose. I worry about internal injuries. I did find a small scab in the area where the blood showed on his feathers and treated it according to Natalie's directions. Just got back from the feed store with some electrolytes and the gentlemen there also suggested putting teramiacin (sp?) in the water to ward off infections and fight against shock. I'm trying not to handle him too much and stress him out even more. Have sectioned off a portion of the enclosure and am keeping him quiet and resting in there. All that's left is to keep my fingers crossed and hope in the next few days to see some of that bad-boy disposition come back.

Threehorses - just wanted to give you an update on Hank. As of 6:00 pm (mountain time) he's up, drinking his water with the vitamin/electrolyte/antibiotic mix and eating on his own. I think it's a good sign that he's eating now? He appears to be much more alert and has even been talking to me. Maybe it's just wishful thinking - but I do believe I hear some grumbling mixed in. I did find a second small puncture wound and treated it as you directed. Poor guy let me feel every square inch of his body and tolerated my endless apologies for being such a rotton mom. I'm thinking he's going to make it - and if he does it'll be thanks to you.

Quote:
If he grumbles at your poking and prodding, tell him some mean ol' gal from Texas said to do it.
smile.png

Having doctored (unfortunately) MANY a goose now, some of them are wonderfully patient and really seem to know you're trying, and some will think you're just awful. He sounds like the former.
smile.png
You're not a rotten mom- you're the best type!

i'm glad you found that puncture. I felt certain there was one there. See how tricky they are? Punctures like that in water fowl are notorious for being found by flies and then maggots laid. But not when treated and cleaned like that. You took good care of him!

I learned about waterfowl injuries the hard way, in an emergency clinic (where the doctor told me not to bring the duck because it was 'not likely that a duck will survive dog bites') where at least the doctor DID explain about the down and finding punctures. So remember and pass it on whenever you hear of someone with waterfowl OR any poultry injuries, really.

I'm so glad he's on the mend, and yes - talking and eating are wonderful steps!! There's nothing quite as fabulous as to hear the voice (that sometimes we take a little bit for granted) talking to you when you thought you'd lose them.

Big hugs! Please do let me know how he does. I'll be wondering.

Cheers and well wishes from me and our 10 geese (7 of which were the survivors of absolute mauling from a local dog, to the point of stitches - 3 of which are their babies from after the attacks - a gaggle of hope)

Back
Top Bottom