Please Help- Splayed Leg Symptoms but doesn't look like it?

AZchicksandeggs

Hatching
Feb 2, 2015
Arizona
I have 27 baby chicks, 22 are about two weeks old now and 5 are about a week old. 3 days ago one of the chicks (1 of 12 Buff Orpingtons) suddenly couldnt walk? Like it waddles and just falls over. I moved her to a separate brooder and she eats, drinks and poops fine. Today, 6 more Buff Orpington chicks are doing the same, can't walk and they chill on their sides.
I thought it was spraddle legs, hence the title, but their legs seem fine, some are curling their toes but then they straighten them out again. I am really confused about how to help them.

The chicks are all from efowl.com and so far only the Buff Orpingtons are getting this way....

I would put poultry vitamins in their water right away, just in case of a vitamin deficiency. Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus is fairly easy to find, and they are other brands.

I have 27 baby chicks, 22 are about two weeks old now and 5 are about a week old. 3 days ago one of the chicks (1 of 12 Buff Orpingtons) suddenly couldnt walk? Like it waddles and just falls over. I moved her to a separate brooder and she eats, drinks and poops fine. Today, 6 more Buff Orpington chicks are doing the same, can't walk and they chill on their sides.
I thought it was spraddle legs, hence the title, but their legs seem fine, some are curling their toes but then they straighten them out again. I am really confused about how to help them.

The chicks are all from efowl.com and so far only the Buff Orpingtons are getting this way....
What's the temperature where you have them?

I have two 250 watt heat bulbs on each side of the brooder, both about 6-8 inches from the ground, not sure about temperature. The brooder is 4ftx6ft

You must have a thermometer in the brooder,what kind of starter you give them to eat? Is it a fresh batch? Some times feed can be infected by bacteria such Botulinum or Salmonella(normally found in rodent droppings) that can cause movement problem and paralysis in chickens. I would give a supplement nutrition of fine crashed boiled egg and germinated seeds, some extra vitamins,(be carful to much vitamins can harm!) some probiotics, and monitor there condition.

I put a powder vitamin/electrolyte mix in their waterer this morning, made sure each chick got a sip of it and i had to "force" (i was gentle) all the buffs to drink because they had almost no energy. I also noticed the chick starter feed i have been giving them is 18% protein (Nutrena) and i switched them over (mixed with their current) to a 22% one my local feed store had today. (They said the 18% was wayyyy too low)

8 hours since all of the above happened, and ALL the chicks are much more active, i still have the buffs seperate because they are so so weak and i had to put feed on some paper towels since they could not stand...They are eating so much now and they are pretty much walking!! :D

Thank you guys SO much for suggesting that vitamin/electrolyte powder mix, it worked like magic. I shall keep you all updated!

Back
Top Bottom