Please help! Unhappy Hen, bloated, lethargic, inactive, diarrhea

Quote:
Because the ones who died were all, except one, hatchery girls, bred for egg production and nothing else, really. It's a genetic/hormone based malfunction. I suspect many more hens die from this than folks realize--not too many folks feel they can open up the hen and see what happened like we have. The hens that died were all the most common hatchery stock, the RIR, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington and Wyandotte. I still have several hens from that same hatchery, but they are not the usual types you get for egg production and seem to be okay so far. Two of them are now over 4 years old and still laying regularly.

I appreciate all the information you have all provided. I have another question. Our other hen who has been laying eggs at least once a day has just laid a soft shelled egg. Could she be stressed with the other hen missing or could she have the beginning stages of egg peritonitis?

She may be fine. I have an Ameraucana hen who was laying super soft shelled eggs for a long time before she went broody and took a six month vacation. Now, her egg shells are better, though not super strong like they should be. It may be she just isn't processing her calcium as she should.

Will she accept another hen? I am afraid to chick will take a while to get in the coop as she has to grow her feathers and have heat. Maybe a juvenille? I am worried that she is lonely now.

Back
Top Bottom