PLEASE HELP!!UPDATED W/VIDEO:Chicken under distress, loud squeaking!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thegoldengirls, Jun 29, 2010.

1. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Just went out to let our 9 girls out of pen and one is making very lound squaking noises when she breathes. Sounds like something blocking airway.
    She's not gaping or gagging, and there is no discharge at all.
    Don't see anything in her mouth and she's still trying to eat grass.
    Shes a RIR and just over a year old. Everyone else is fine.
    Please help!! Any ideas? [​IMG]

I'm going to try to download a video so you can see exactly what she's doing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have a hen that pants like a dog and she makes that sound also during the hot weather. Try getting her to a cooler place. Maybe a fan? I'll give mine a cold corn on the cob or run her a puddle of cool water to stand in.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    she shaking her head? Maybe gape worms.......................IDK? I had one get that and after she passed i read that the intervectan(spl ck) oral dose will kill them. That's if they are that. Hopefully video will upload....................

4. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Hmm.. good ideas.
    The don't show the signs of gape worm. She doesn't open or anything. I just got done dosing all of them with ivermec a couple months ago because of the signs of gape worm.
    I'm not sure it's heat either. It's a lot cooler today and the rest are fine.
    It's a definite loud sqeak as she breathes in and out. Like a squeak toy.
    Stll trying to download video.

5. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Just checked on her again. Really no change.
    Nothing that we can see in the throat, and no signs of trauma.
    It's a constant squeak in and out. But she is going around pecking with the others, and she drank water when I stood there.
    Poor thing squeaks so bad she sounds like she's gargling.

I also checked her crop and it's not full. It's actually small and mushy, and you can feel a little grit in it. This is concerning because they all normally have full crops at this time of day. The only other thing I could think to do is give her a couple drops of veggie oil. I figure it may help move anything blocking.

At this point I don't know what more to do. We're just going to leave her alone and see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  6. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Quote:hate to say it, but he sounds like a dog...

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We've had record heat here this month and middle 90's on a cool day. Thankfully we're getting thunderstorms to cool things down. My Easter Egger hen sounded like a duck during the extreme heat. She was the only one who was panting like that. The other hens had their mouths open and wings spread some, but no panting noises. I brought my EE hen in the house to cool off abit just in case. My chickens have plenty of cool water and shade. I also gave them chilled watermelon and chilled cabbage. Since temps have come down to the low 90's the past few days, she hasnt been honking.

8. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Update:
    She was fine the next morning after giving the drops of veggie oil.
    Completely normal acting, and absolutely no noise. I was sure she had something stuck and it finally moved.
    She even got a short time out in the good grass with the rest. Never would have known anything was wrong.

However, this morning she is starting to make the same noise. It's not as loud as in the video, but I'm sure it will be by the time I get home tonight.
    It's still a squeak and not a gurgle.
    I dripped a little oil on their crumbles. Of course, they'll all be "slicked up" now, but at least it can't hurt.

I'm pretty sure it's not the heat. We've had 45 degree nights and 60-70 degree days. Nothing like the heat and humidity we had last week.

I'm at a loss. [​IMG] Not sure what to do next, other than let her be and see if it subsides.

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Maybe she just has decided to start talking constantly.

Have you caught her going potty? Is she still laying eggs? Have you changed anything in the coop lately that she may be upset about? It's possible she has a little chicken cold and is having a hard time breathing through her nose, and that this is a sort of 'snoring' noise. Perhaps she has taken on a mild allergy to something that's given her a sore throat.

10. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Thanks for your input Kedreeva! [​IMG]

Someone else suggested that it may be to get attention. [​IMG]
    My girls are spoiled, so I guess it's plausible. But, the noise definitely sounds like she has a reed to a sax caught in it.
    Yes, she poo's and lays eggs and is totally normal otherwise, and no changes to the coop.
    I also wondered about a respiratory issue, but there's nothing coming from her nose, and no gurgling.
    I'm really quite stumped as the noise kinda comes and goes.
    So far today I've heard nothing. And honestly, I have to really look to figure out which one it was.

I'm going to keep researching and see what I can find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by