Please help! urgent!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AussieChics, Sep 10, 2014.

1. AussieChics

AussieChics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Ive got 2 broody hens and I gave them eggs but clearly fighting over them. Ive taken 1 hen out with the remaining intact eggs but they are covered in yolk and crap. Do I wash them or leave them???? No idea about this :-(

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I would wipe them down gently with a warm, damp cloth. All that yolk and such is likely to allow bacteria to enter the eggs and kill the embryos.

3. AussieChics

Sep 7, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    thank you so much! She's not too happy being moved thats for sure

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Alot of hens will not stay on the nest after you move them and their eggs unless you can move the whole nest. You might have to return her and the eggs to the original nest, then fix the nest where no other chickens can get to her, but where she can have a little room to get of it and stretch her legs, eat, drink, etc. You only have a little time to decide what to do before the eggs get to cold. Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  5. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    Don't wash the eggs..... It has a natural coating to protect it...

6. AussieChics

Sep 7, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Yeah there were more broken eggs this morning. So I've swapped chooks and locked her in the nesting box with the eggs and food and water. The other one isn't going to be too happy not sleeping in there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by