Please help us with our little call duck!!

Thank you I have it set up like I cave I think, I put up a pic, see if that looks ok? I will go get the other feed. Is there something else I can get for the niacin if I can't find brewers yeast? What about vitamins, should I put some in the water? Thanks so much!
So did they have a heat source previously? He is likely slow and lethargic and not eating a lot because he is too cold. They do need to be able to get to somewhere that's at least 85 degrees to warm up at that age, and he also needs to be able to get away from the heat, so if the heating pad is covering his whole setup, you need to change that. Go pick up a heat lamp and heat bulb and set up an area underneath it that he can get to that's 85 to 90 degrees. Or change the heating pad setup so that it's like a cave that he can go into to get warm.

Turkey starter probably has too much protein, and too little niacin. Switch to a flock raiser feed, a specific duckling feed, or regular chick starter if those aren't available. If you use a chick starter, you will need add niacin to it. Brewer's yeast works well for that.
k

Is that water dish deep enough for him to flush his beak? I found that a milk carton or plastic coffee can with a duckling sized hole cut into it at chest level worked really well to minimize mess and give them deep enough water. A desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb might be a more efficient heat source for him. I love using heating pads for brooding, but using it on the bottom of the brooder isn't a great idea with a duckling. They get water everywhere. And you have to be sure it's not one with an auto-shutoff. If your heating pad doesn't automatically turn off, I suggest draping it over a piece of wire fencing so that it's off the wet floor and they can snuggle under it just like they would if raised by a hen.
Oh, it may not be. I understand what your saying to use & I think I have just the thing, a small milk jug that had choc milk in it, I'll wash it out & cut a hole in it up high enough that I can put enough water in for him to dunk his whole head in. Thanks so much!

Thank you I have it set up like I cave I think, I put up a pic, see if that looks ok? I will go get the other feed. Is there something else I can get for the niacin if I can't find brewers yeast? What about vitamins, should I put some in the water? Thanks so much!

k

I like Poultry Nutri Drench personally - I would add that to his water. It'll give him a boost, and it does have niacin in it.

I think what you have done with the duckling is fine and you should keep watch on him to make sure he's okay. I am so sorry for your other duck.

No prob the same thing happened to my chicken one day she was looking sick and we weren't sure she would make it. But she made it through I hope from the bottom of my heart that your sick will make it through, stay strong! Have hope! And never give up!

Back
Top Bottom