Pictures right before she got sick.

Attachments

• 54703E00-EF90-4D58-833D-0648642D9CAB.jpeg
    54703E00-EF90-4D58-833D-0648642D9CAB.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 505A3851-716F-4C0C-AC95-187787E90AD3.jpeg
    505A3851-716F-4C0C-AC95-187787E90AD3.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 6
Have any of you tried human antivirals for herpes on your chickens with Mareks (acyclovir (Zovirax) or Valcyclovir? I’m thinking of this too late but I saw some studies where tumor formation was diminished. I use them for cold sores. My vet never mentioned it. Thanks.

On one of the Marek's threads here some people were talking about trying them a year or so back. if you put the product name into the search field on the forum you should find the thread and PM people for a follow up if there is no update. Don't have time to check myself ths morning but would be interested in your search results. Acyclovir is only available as a topical cream so not sure how you would try to administer for a chicken with paralysis. Human meds here in the UK are much more strictly regulated here in the UK than it seems in The States so getting hold of anything other than topical cold sore cream would be very difficult.

Acyclovir is oral or topical in the US. Thank you- I’ll check out the other thread. It was mentioned In an article on PoultryDVM with the dosage. It’s used to treat shingles as well which is a pretty horrible blistery rash that can can chronic pain. In people it doesn’t have as much impact on the dna replication after 48 hours so I suspect it would work the same in chickens. We also dose it suppresively here (daily) to decrease shedding the virus and outbreaks (common practice for genital herpes). Have a great day.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/acyclovir

Little Darla walked Monday and Tuesday and I really thought we were winning- 3 steps actually. But on T and W I noticed her crop wasn’t emptying and she didn’t want to eat. She wasn’t bright eyed anymore. I euthanized her myself last night which I know was best for her but my heart is broken and I’m traumatized. I sent her for necropsy.

Little Darla walked Monday and Tuesday and I really thought we were winning- 3 steps actually. But on T and W I noticed her crop wasn’t emptying and she didn’t want to eat. She wasn’t bright eyed anymore. I euthanized her myself last night which I know was best for her but my heart is broken and I’m traumatized. I sent her for necropsy.
I am sorry for your loss.

BIG hugs! :hugs

Please let us know what the necropsy report finds.

Back
Top Bottom