Please help! What do I do?

cheryl98117

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Indianola Washington
So this is as far as the weather has allowed me to get on my coop. It is 4'x8', I have the frame work almost complete, and now my husband wants me to make it bigger!!! How??? I am drawing a blank every time I try to figure it out. I have aprox. 12 Ameraucanas coming home on the 19th. granted they will be chicks and inside the house in a brooder... But I gotta get this coop done! Can anyone give me some ideas on how to expand this frame?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, as I am SO very confused, and have no help...

Quote:
Sounds like the only help you need is encouragement. A journey of an 1000 miles begins with one step, A Coop expansion begins with just a hammer, saw, and tape measure. Go for it.

I would just continue off the back. Knock out the boards you have up back there and extend from there.
hu.gif
I agree that a 4 x 8 won't be big enough for 12 birds unless you're in a year-round warm area. However, the problem I see with a larger coop is cleaning access/human access (as your access door looks limiting - like you'd have to lean or crawl in). So one way to correct that might be to put another access door on the rear section you might be adding. Hopefully that will allow you to reach everything... Good luck!

I'll throw out an idea. Build a totally separate coop, but sharing one end wall. Include a human door and a window in the Annex. Put a pop door in the common wall so they can go back and forth. Maybe have one side for roosting and the other side for nest boxes. Feed and water wherever you wish.

Quote:
Definately not a year round warm climate here. lol Wet year round is more like it, except for maby 2 months in the summer...
So if I was to knock out the back wall, and extend the sides another 4' to make it an equal 8'x8' coop, put in a second access hatch, "maby kitty corner to the one already there?" Would be a tight fit to clean, but I think that might work.

Thanks for giving me an idea to start with!

Back
Top Bottom