PLEASE HELP!! What is wrong with my bird??

Maloree

Hatching
Dec 2, 2020
So about two weeks ago my family’s black copper maran rooster was not okay when we went to close up the coop. He had what looked like wry neck and was very lethargic. We isolated him and let him rest for the night, and started researching. We came to the conclusion that we didn’t think it was mereks disease, because he didn’t have even half of the symptoms... he did however, fall right in with wry neck. So I started syringe feeding him water, and then when I got my hands on some electrolytes and probiotics, I mixed those in the water too. I was giving him 30mL every 6 hours, and on day two he seemed to be a bit more aware of his surroundings. So I put him outside for 15 minutes, knowing how beneficial the sun can be when treating any sort of illness. He was not with any of the birds in the run, he was just in the backyard. He perked up a ton, and even started crowing. I thought for sure he would be back to normal in no time. And so we repeated this process, plus a mixture of vitamins, for two more days, and then we kind of hit a plateau. He started to seem more exhausted than ever. I then dive headfirst into more research, and read (I don’t know if this is true, but I didn’t want to risk it.) that if your bird is not clucking and extremely aware of their surroundings, do not syringe feed them. So I backed of on the syringe fluids, trying not to do more harm than good. Two days later, my father texted my mom and I while we were out and told us that the rooster had died. I never saw the bird for myself, but my father said he had a purple face and he was lying on his side. His poop, mind you, had also never changed throughout this week. I thought maybe it was a pulmonary issue.

it’s now been a week and we went to let the birds out today and one of our rhode island reds is walking around as if she’s drunk, stumbling over her own feet.For now she’s able to stay out with the other birds, but I don’t want to wait too long before she’s too far gone. Is this the same thing that happened to my rooster??

Last edited:
So about two weeks ago my family’s black copper maran rooster was not okay when we went to close up the coop. He had what looked like wry neck and was very lethargic. We isolated him and let him rest for the night, and started researching. We came to the conclusion that we didn’t think it was mereks disease, because he didn’t have even half of the symptoms... he did however, fall right in with wry neck. So I started syringe feeding him water, and then when I got my hands on some electrolytes and probiotics, I mixed those in the water too. I was giving him 30mL every 6 hours, and on day two he seemed to be a bit more aware of his surroundings. So I put him outside for 15 minutes, knowing how beneficial the sun can be when treating any sort of illness. He was not with any of the birds in the run, he was just in the backyard. He perked up a ton, and even started crowing. I thought for sure he would be back to normal in no time. And so we repeated this process for two more days, and then we kind of hit a plateau. He started to seem more exhausted than ever. I then dive headfirst into more research, and read (I don’t know if this is true, but I didn’t want to risk it.) that if your bird is not clucking and extremely aware of their surroundings, do not syringe feed them. So I backed of on the syringe fluids, trying not to do more harm than good. Two days later, my father texted my mom and I while we were out and told us that the rooster had died. I never saw the bird for myself, but my father said he had a purple face and he was lying on his side. His poop, mind you, had also never changed throughout this week. I thought maybe it was a pulmonary issue.

it’s now been a week and we went to let the birds out today and one of our rhode island reds is walking around as if she’s drunk, stumbling over her own feet.For now she’s able to stay out with the other birds, but I don’t want to wait too long before she’s too far gone. Is this the same thing that happened to my rooster??
I'm so sorry you lost your roo! I did a little research, but most said that it cleared up on its own. I would try giving the hen some anitbiotics and make sure she is getting enough calcium. Someone online said Newcastle disease is contagious, so that is what I'm thinking it is, but they also said possibly mycoplasma? Sorry, please give updates on the hen though!

I'm so sorry you lost your roo! I did a little research, but most said that it cleared up on its own. I would try giving the hen some anitbiotics and make sure she is getting enough calcium. Someone online said Newcastle disease is contagious, so that is what I'm thinking it is, but they also said possibly mycoplasma? Sorry, please give updates on the hen though!
I wouldn't jump straight to antibiotics. Myclopsia is a respiratory disease and you would see discharge from her nose and possibly head shaking. What is your temp? Hypothermia can cause this. Is her face pale?Bring her inside where it si warm and keep an eye on her for starters. Find out if she is eating/drinking/pooping on her own. Hope you find out what si going on! You will want to leave the Id of what is going on to the experts. We need more then a guess here. Good luck and glad you posted here!

Oh and!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

Thank you all so much... the temp here is 36 and rainy. I believe she’s eating and pooping on her own, but I’ll keep an eye on her. The birds have no relation, I got her from Atwood’s and my marans from a woman that was hatching them. That being said, I’m not sure if they’ve been vaccinated for mareks... I’m going to bring her inside to keep her separated and to watch her carefully. If I do give her any antibiotics, any suggestions? We give them all organic feed, not sure if that matters. I will update as soon as possible.

Thank you all so much... the temp here is 36 and rainy. I believe she’s eating and pooping on her own, but I’ll keep an eye on her. The birds have no relation, I got her from Atwood’s and my marans from a woman that was hatching them. That being said, I’m not sure if they’ve been vaccinated for mareks... I’m going to bring her inside to keep her separated and to watch her carefully. If I do give her any antibiotics, any suggestions? We give them all organic feed, not sure if that matters. I will update as soon as possible.
Did this hen get wet? If so, it is very possible she has hypothermia. Organic feed is great and a healthy choice! You can use Fish mox antibiotics but I don't know if that is the right decision, @Eggcessive will know abbot that. Is her face pale?

I’ve brought her in, and yes her face is pale, along with her neck feathers puffed up a bit, and yes she did get wet. I had her wrapped in a towel and held her until her feathers relaxed, and put her in a trough with her crumble mixed with some mealworms to encourage her to eat, and her water is mixed with a multivitamin, probiotic, and electrolytes solution, both of which she eagerly ran to. She’s one of my stronger spirited birds, and she definitely hasn’t lost that. I’m starting to believe that it is hypothermia. She’s in our garage, which is warmer than outside, but not as warm as inside, so I have a heat lamp placed above on one side of the pen that way she doesn’t get overheated, but has a warm spot to be. Is there anything else I need to do?
image.jpg

I’ve brought her in, and yes her face is pale, along with her neck feathers puffed up a bit, and yes she did get wet. I had her wrapped in a towel and held her until her feathers relaxed, and put her in a trough with her crumble mixed with some mealworms to encourage her to eat, and her water is mixed with a multivitamin, probiotic, and electrolytes solution, both of which she eagerly ran to. She’s one of my stronger spirited birds, and she definitely hasn’t lost that. I’m starting to believe that it is hypothermia. She’s in our garage, which is warmer than outside, but not as warm as inside, so I have a heat lamp placed above on one side of the pen that way she doesn’t get overheated, but has a warm spot to be. Is there anything else I need to do? View attachment 2434483
Use a hair dryer to dry her! I had 2 pullets do the same thing once when they got wet. Blow her with a hair dryer until she is warm, dry and her face gets colder again. Then, put her in a warm place by the fire or with a heat lamp until she is actin normal. Get a hairdryer on her immediately! Good job bringing her in!

Back
Top Bottom