JE1279

Chirping
Jun 20, 2017
Solid black

Attachments

• IMG_20170716_180009044.jpg
    IMG_20170716_180009044.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 13
Black Runner or Cayuga would be my opinion. If it is a runner it will start to stand almost straight upright most of the time. Does it lean back on it's legs like that often? Are you feeding it chick starter? If so, needs extra niacin by adding nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast to food at 1 tbsp per cup of feed.

Black Runner or Cayuga would be my opinion. If it is a runner it will start to stand almost straight upright most of the time. Does it lean back on it's legs like that often? Are you feeding it chick starter? If so, needs extra niacin by adding nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast to food at 1 tbsp per cup of feed.

Oh gosh I guess I haven't noticed? Does that mean there is something wrong? I feed her a chick starter from the store. I asked if she needed additional vitamins and they said no

Oh gosh I guess I haven't noticed? Does that mean there is something wrong? I feed her a chick starter from the store. I asked if she needed additional vitamins and they said no
I just went to check her out and she's in her feet. The picture was from the first day. We feed her lots of fresh fruits and veggies as well. She likes to eat bugs. I was hoping she wasn't a runner however. She is from a feed store and was with a mixture of yellow, gray and yellow and yellow with black. Could she be a black swedish?

Ducklings need more niacin than chick starter provides. She is ok, but deficiency can cause problems with development and cause leg issues. Just get some nutritional yeast and add it to Lil ones feed. I buy it from local grocery or health food store...it's for people but has the added niacin needed in it. There are many, many threads on here concerning niacin and ducks. This is pic of container I buy at Kroger in baking aisle. Some Walmart stores carry Brewers yeast in vitamin aisle and Amazon has both. As long as you get the lil guy supplemented with the yeast there will be no lasting issues from not having it.

Attachments

• 15006094811572059696989.jpg
    15006094811572059696989.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 10
Ducklings need more niacin than chick starter provides. She is ok, but deficiency can cause problems with development and cause leg issues. Just get some nutritional yeast and add it to Lil ones feed. I buy it from local grocery or health food store...it's for people but has the added niacin needed in it. There are many, many threads on here concerning niacin and ducks. This is pic of container I buy at Kroger in baking aisle. Some Walmart stores carry Brewers yeast in vitamin aisle and Amazon has both. As long as you get the lil guy supplemented with the yeast there will be no lasting issues from not having it.
Thank you. I will give her some tomorrow. I use it in my salads.

Black Swedish will have a yellow spot on it's chest. I have a pic of blue swedish here. Black looks same only instead of the blue(grey) it would be black. I also have Cayugas and runners if you'd like pics to compare.

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_132112225.jpg
    IMG_20170625_132112225.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 10
Black Swedish will have a yellow spot on it's chest. I have a pic of blue swedish here. Black looks same only instead of the blue(grey) it would be black. I also have Cayugas and runners if you'd like pics to compare.
You think she's a runner then?

I think she is a runner but at that age it's possible she could be Cayuga...they are very similar at that age...only very slight difference in Cayuga and black runner at that age. The Cayuga tend to have a bit lighter on chest and mine had very slight dots of yellow in corners of their mouth next to bill at that age. The Cayuga do not stand upright like runners do.

Back
Top Bottom