Please help! White diarrhea

ENorman

Hatching
Jul 30, 2021
I have a hen that's about 1 and and a half years old. About 5 months ago she broke one of her toes pretty bad so we moved her inside, tried to set it and wrapped it. She seemed fine but at this time she stopped laying. I searched it and found that this happens sometimes with injuries, so I let it go. We moved her back outside and waited. No eggs since but NO signs of anything wrong until 2 weeks ago. First I noticed she wasn't running out of the coop for food, which was odd but she does have a rooster in the run and she isn't fond of "mating". Sunday when she came out she let out watery white diarrhea. It wasn't foamy, just white and watery. Later that day I saw her just standing in one spot while all the others were running around her, eyes closed. That worried me so I brought her in for observation. She is drinking but not eating her grain, at least not that I can tell. I do work so not with her all day. She will eat bits of grapes but seems to shy away from anything else. She's "sleepy", puffed up at times and her crop does seem too full for not eating. It's not empty in the morning either. On top of all this she is trying to molt. I called our extension here and was told she is dying, this is end of life. I don't have a nearby vet that will see chickens. Is this end of life? Why? She is my favorite girl 😭

I have a hen that's about 1 and and a half years old. About 5 months ago she broke one of her toes pretty bad so we moved her inside, tried to set it and wrapped it. She seemed fine but at this time she stopped laying. I searched it and found that this happens sometimes with injuries, so I let it go. We moved her back outside and waited. No eggs since but NO signs of anything wrong until 2 weeks ago. First I noticed she wasn't running out of the coop for food, which was odd but she does have a rooster in the run and she isn't fond of "mating". Sunday when she came out she let out watery white diarrhea. It wasn't foamy, just white and watery. Later that day I saw her just standing in one spot while all the others were running around her, eyes closed. That worried me so I brought her in for observation. She is drinking but not eating her grain, at least not that I can tell. I do work so not with her all day. She will eat bits of grapes but seems to shy away from anything else. She's "sleepy", puffed up at times and her crop does seem too full for not eating. It's not empty in the morning either. On top of all this she is trying to molt. I called our extension here and was told she is dying, this is end of life. I don't have a nearby vet that will see chickens. Is this end of life? Why? She is my favorite girl 😭

How is she doing today? The crop not emptying in the morning and containing food even though she is not eating is a concern too.

Do you have antibiotics you can give to treat cocci? Are you having any hot, cold or rainy weather where you are? Any history with worms in your area? Any fever or elevated body temperature that you can feel?

I would have her on an antiworm and antibiotic drug cocktail and hand feeding regimin, but there are still other unknown possibilities.

White diarrhea is a sign of kidney problems or an infection like coccidia or mycoplasma, I’m very sorry. 😔
In deed she should consult a vet who can check for either one of them if it is any unfortunately you may have to put your chicken down if not try less fluids it can cause many hens to pee (which is the white stuff in chicken poop) I’ve try’d that before when majority was white which had little specks of brown they were fine but don’t test that till you contacted you vet!

She's "sleepy", puffed up at times and her crop does seem too full for not eating. It's not empty in the morning either. On top of all this she is trying to molt.
Please post some photos of the poop and the hen.

White poop is often dehydration.
The crop not emptying overnight, I would begin treat for sour crop.
If she's molting, then she may need some extra protein.

If the rooster is bothering her, she may not be coming out to eat/drink like she should - this will cause malnourishment and dehydration.

How much space does your flock have - is the rooster a pest to other hens as well?
Can he be separated to give the hens a break? If not, can you move her/separate her to give extra care to treat the crop and allow her to eat/drink in peace?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How is she doing today? The crop not emptying in the morning and containing food even though she is not eating is a concern too.

Do you have antibiotics you can give to treat cocci? Are you having any hot, cold or rainy weather where you are? Any history with worms in your area? Any fever or elevated body temperature that you can feel?

I would have her on an antiworm and antibiotic drug cocktail and hand feeding regimin, but there are still other unknown possibilities.
She is still here, seems better each day. Her poop is still strange but not as watery. I have seen a few very small solid brown poops and today a normal size solid but white. She seems more alert. Definitely molting. I moved her inside 2 weekends ago to try to figure her out. The roo is a roo, same age. He's very active but attentive too. She's been eating selectivity fruits and veggies but doesn't want her grain. She loves spinach and watermelon. I mixed a little olive oil in with spinach yesterday that she ate. I got some nutri drench for her that I'm going to try to get her to take. The poop pic is after being inside a few days. Before this it was white water, sometimes a little bit of green stuff. Her crop is not totally empty in the morning but it is smaller and not quite as hard.
20210731_065906.jpg
20210728_214737.jpg

Back
Top Bottom