Please Help!..Who killed Ski?*GRAPHIC PICS*UPDATE ..IT WAS A HAWK!

Well..down another bird!..my cute little Silkie "Peanut"....and i think it started to get my other silkie mix..because her feathers are all ruffed up..i cant find any wounds on her though, so i'm hoping he just scared her...
fl.gif
.........my husband heard a ruckus in the yard this morning, he ran outside and saw the hawk or a brown headed eagle(not sure what this bird is because it is HUGE!) taking off from our yard...all the girls were freaked out..and hiding. So he started the head count..2 were missing..we looked and looked for over an hour..we thought 2 were gone..but after we put them in their coop yard we went out to check on them again and the last one was at the gate wanting to get in with her sisters...so, my questions are...did it fly off with my silkie because i cant find her body anywhere(i did find a scattering of feathers though)..could she have survived and be hiding somewhere?(we looked and looked for her!)... i thought they killed and ate their prey on the ground....and..what can i do to deter them from coming back?.also, my husband said when he saw the hawk/eagle fly off it didnt seem to be carrying my silkie....I'm keeping them locked up now until i can find a way to scare the hawks off...
hit.gif

Hi Redhen,

It sounds like your birds are probably hiding. Have they surfaced yet?

There are a variety of ways to scare off hawks, as well as to give your girls places to hide. One post I saw recently said that they took big garbage cans, cut the sides out, and put them upside down around their yard. It's a good hiding place if they spot a hawk.

Try doing a search here to find what others have done to deter birds of prey.

(HUGS)

Hi Jenn...all came back but my one little silkie..
hit.gif
..i hope shes not suffering outside somewhere..i hope IF the hawk did get her..he just finished her off..so shes not suffering somewhere now...we searched and searched for her in the woods beyond our fence..thinking that maybe the hawk picked her up and maybe he dropped her somewhere?..my rooster has been crowing all day for her...that was his 1 little girlfriend...i guess he was to small himself to protect her...we are supposed to get a big storm here tomorrow..its not looking good for her chances of being alive OR if she is still alive..survivng the night outside..i just cant believe i found NO body..NO blood!..just a scattering of feathers...i know i wont sleep well tonight thinking about her maybe still being alive outside somewhere..
barnie.gif
....Thanks, Wendy

Back
Top Bottom