Please Help with button sexing & colors..**Updated, not a boy!!**

Quote:
#1, red breasted male, but that looks like a slate female due to barring on the feathers. My silvers are much lighter and the barring not so pronounced.

#2, Agree

#3 Agree

#4 Looks like a single factor blue face silver splash male. The wing tips look silver to me. It doesn't look the same age as the other - my bet would be that the red breasted male and the silver male were brooder mates and that maybe the splash was added later.
-Spooky

Quote:
Darth Vaders are an offshoot of the red breasted. They have no bibs and have reallllly dark heads/backs, black or nearly so, as opposed to the dark slate of the normal red breasted. I really, really want a pair of DV's. I can't tell if I have any in my brooder. I also want to start colour breeding DV hens to have more black speckles and look like a pencilled hen.

Dare to dream..
-Spooky

Quote:
Darth Vadars are red breasteds that have a solid black head (hers has some white on the head)
smile.png
I cant wait to see your birds Shelley!
big_smile.png

Quote:
#1, red breasted male, but that looks like a slate female due to barring on the feathers. My silvers are much lighter and the barring not so pronounced.

#2, Agree

#3 Agree

#4 Looks like a single factor blue face silver splash male. The wing tips look silver to me. It doesn't look the same age as the other - my bet would be that the red breasted male and the silver male were brooder mates and that maybe the splash was added later.
-Spooky

You are probably right about the silver hen, Im not good with silvers/slates/smokeys
smile.png
All I know is they're a dillute of Blue face
big_smile.png
(or a type of blue face i should say).

As for #4 I can't wait to see what all the 30 years in the making button breeders have to say about that one it's pretty nifty looking!
big_smile.png
Mine was a guess of it being a blue faced cinnamon hen, so im curious who's closest to bein right hehe! I'll copy and paste the post replies once i get them (probably tomorrow evening they takea while to respond)
smile.png

Holy crapers! LOL! Garrie (owner and breeder of www.zebrafinch.com) got back to me already! LOL!

"Re: [ButtonQuailUSA] Blue Faced Cinnamon hen??Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:13 AM
From: "Garrie Landry" <[email protected]>Add sender to Contacts To: [email protected]

without any doubt, yes BF Cinn hen"

I'm seriously suprised I was right! Finnally, my full assumption was right on a color! (normally im wrong about a small detail in sex or color he he)!

*happy dance* Cuz i seriously had no clue if i was right never seen one like that
big_smile.png

Quote:
I still doubt him, because I have one that looks just. like. that and it's definitely without a doubt a MALE.
smile.png

-Spooky

Deary, that's a hen lol. Garrie is one of the most well known breeders in Button Quail...he's bred MANy of the mutations you see today (i can guarrentee you almost every button quail you have goes back to him almost all directly). If you dont believe me email Garrie yourself. That's almost like questioning the AKC about a dogs standard, by questioning Garrie Landry about a birds color and sex lol!

A quote from Garries site
"I have kept and bred Button Quail for 32 continuous years. Like to many of the birds I keep, they occupy a special place in my collection and I would never be without them. Button Quail are the most charming little game birds, and well suited to almost any bird collection. I can vividly remember seeing my very first one, and marveling at how small and colorful it was. That first vision has never changed and I still look at all of the many color varieties that I keep now an marvel at each one. Every single button quail mutation avaliable in the US, has come from our aviaries first, THAT IS FACT, NOT FICTION. I personally imported all of the newer colors (very single one) and introduced them to US breeders beginning back in 1987. I have also written and published my own book entitled The Care, Breeding and Genetics of The Button Quail. It covers every aspect of how I have kept, bred and raised these little quail during the past 2 decades. The following paragraphs are an excerpt from the book. For the entire story, buy the Book!! [email protected]"

Last edited:
Quote:
I still doubt him, because I have one that looks just. like. that and it's definitely without a doubt a MALE.
smile.png

-Spooky

Deary, that's a hen lol. Garrie is one of the most well known breeders in Button Quail...he's bred MANy of the mutations you see today (i can guarrentee you almost every button quail you have goes back to him almost all directly). If you dont believe me email Garrie yourself. That's almost like questioning the AKC about a dogs standard, by questioning Garrie Landry about a birds color and sex lol!

I know who he is, and I know that it is the same colours as the one I have.. who's very much NOT a hen. I WISH he was a hen, I thought he was a hen, I was told he was a hen, buuuut he's most definitely not a hen. He does the growl before the crow, other males try to rip him apart, he does the mealworm thing.. and he's the spitting image of the picture above.
smile.png
Mine is a sf bf silver tip splash. Males have silver/grey wing tips. Females don't, they have standard slate wings. That's why I'm basing mine on the wing tips, of which we can't see much but looks to me as though it's a tipped. Could be wrong, but that one looks like a clone of my little guy.
-Spooky

Quote:

I know who he is, and I know that it is the same colours as the one I have.. who's very much NOT a hen. I WISH he was a hen, I thought he was a hen, I was told he was a hen, buuuut he's most definitely not a hen. He does the growl before the crow, other males try to rip him apart, he does the mealworm thing.. and he's the spitting image of the picture above.
smile.png
Mine is a sf bf silver tip splash. Males have silver/grey wing tips. Females don't, they have standard slate wings. That's why I'm basing mine on the wing tips, of which we can't see much but looks to me as though it's a tipped. Could be wrong, but that one looks like a clone of my little guy.
-Spooky

that is a problem with pictures, they can look simliar to what you see, but in real life they could be darker or lighter. Like my dark tibetan coturnix come out lighter looking than they really look IRL. I get-cha seeing that. And, there ARE very VERy dark blue faced males but a few blue feathers here and there help ID them....that's why I knew this had to be a hen, I was suprised however that i was right on the color mixture as well. You'll have to post pictures of yours im curious to see it.
smile.png

I edited this to add, that THIS is exactly why im getting out of Button quails, theres too many color combos that mix together easily, I honestly dont know of another animal, or even a bird thats colors mixes so well together in SEVERAL diferent varieties it's enough ot make you pull your hair out (or mine atleast) LOL! I love genetics, but when they get so hard to tell what the heck you have...im outie!
smile.png
I'll get back in them someday but if i do i doubt i'll pair them up it'll be collony breeding and 'oh look its colorful..yay" LOL I'd go crazy trying to selectively breed them. I'll leave it up to the experts who have the pacience. I'm happy with my coturnix whos' colors are atleast....as of now, still pretty simple
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
heh.. and this is why I'm getting into them
smile.png
I love genetics work, and colourbreeding? Gimme! My goal is to breed specifically to get pairs that throw one colour and one colour only. Which will be fun, since almost every button available comes out of a colony.

I'll post pics of Cricket in a second. They're kind of bad, because he got a bad headsplit of a boink yesterday and now he thinks every time I touch him that I'm going to peroxide his head again - you'll have to forgive his bad feather day
tongue.png

-Spooky

Back
Top Bottom