Please Help with button sexing & colors..**Updated, not a boy!!**

cricket1.jpg

No rust on belly/tail. Hensign.

cricket2.jpg

Weird slate coloured face, but blue when light hits it right. No actual blue in feathers. Hensign. (and horrible featherhead from a really nasty boink that I still have no clue how it happened as there's padding on top of his cage)

cricket3.jpg

This picture is screwy due to the flash. His wings are very dark, with only the outer primaries bright silver. When he's standing, you can only just barely see this.

Everyone who's ever seen him thinks he's a hen. He's very much not.

babies1.jpg

Gratiutous baby pictures. These are all from the egg swap. My runty little Coturnix chick, who's half the size of his sibling, looks positively ginormous.

babies2.jpg

Again with Runtling looking huge amongst the button quail. No, they are not dead - they sleep like that and it scares me every time.

babies3.jpg

More cuteness and Coturnix hugeness.

babies4.jpg

And..more.

babies5.jpg

2 day old Red Tux Coturnix next to 2 week and a half old buttons and 2 - 3 day old buttons. (3 day old, Tux, weeker, 3 day old, weeker who tried to fly away when I took the pic.) The weekers came out of my normal wild-type pair. The other two came from a single factor blue faced crossed with a cinnamon. All their babies are hatching with white wing tips regardless of base colour. I'm curious to see what they feather out as.

If you have trouble with the pics again, they're at crazyquaillady.com/cricket1.jpg through cricket3.jpg, and babies1.jpg through babies5.jpg
-Spooky

Now that they've settled overnight, it was easier to get some better pics of the one in question.....

100_1149.jpg

100_1162.jpg

If you look close, it almost looks like this one has a blue bib??

and one more of the other 2 in the trio

100_1152.jpg

Now those last 2 I know are male/female....I saw them mating this AM.

I ended up taking the third one (the one in question) out though...the silver one was chasing it and picking at it.
sad.png
So it's off on it's own right now.

Quote:
If that first one is the one that me and Spookie were disagreeing over then that's indeed a male like Spookie said. That blue is a tell tell all!
smile.png

As for the one above who said that all buttons have to have bibs to be males and hens dont that is so untrue it isn't funny.
smile.png
Anyone who thinks they know genetics completley need to be ready to be shot down with the correct answer WITH explaination. Button quails are crazy hard to learn genetically and I am always learning something new!
smile.png
Blue faced males dont have bibs all the time (which makes them single factor), I think even Redbreasted males can get away without having bibs and be a male, and silvers come in bibbed and nonbibbed. My silver male from a distance looks like a female, he has no rust red onhis flanks, and no bib (unless you look really close it's not defined or anything).

Spookie, OUCHIE mama! I have cinnamon hen getting over a head booboo simliar to that (but hers looks better now they heal so fast) but hers was from her not moving out of the way of a large coturnix getting mad at her being too close to its food.

AND YOUR CHICKS ARE ADORABLE! I love the light powdery blue looking ones! I saw a breeder on button quail usa with ones those colors that they got from over seas and theywere so excited and were tuting thier horn to the "new color' they got, well looks like you go tit too whatever it may be
big_smile.png

Urban- you're so lucky to get such a nice collection of colors already good luck to you with it all, it's fun if you dont let yourself get overwhelmed with the color learning (like did lol)!

Niki

Spooky- What do you use for litter/bedding? Is that corncobb? Thank you for those awesome pics!

Niki- Thanks so much for all of your help. I want to enjoy all of this and not get too overwhelmed. Coming here and getting advice has made this all so much more fun!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Yeah. I have a bibbed and a non-bibbed silver. The non-bibbed was supposed to be a hen. It isn't. It's a single factor silver male. However, the silvers are the cute little gay couple that cuddle together and bring each other food, so I'm going to leave them as is
tongue.png

I have NO IDEA how Cricket smashed his head. I looked in there the other day and his head was covered with blood. I peroxided it off, hence the weird feather crest, and found a perfect round ice pick hole. He's not in with other birds and there's nothing in the cage he could have gotten that wound on. I'm stumped. I washed it and let it seep once it was clean, and now he's in with the weekers. He's not picking on them, and one of the little fledgies is beating up on him. Sissy bird!

I'm so excited to see what colours the babies grow up to be. Justhatchin sent pics of her adults but even looking at them, I have no idea what the babies will be, except the yellow.
big_smile.png

UrbanMama's babies are so cute. I can't wait to see what pops out of her hatcher!
big_smile.png
Buttons are like trading cards - finding new and interesting colours is fun, and when you have no clue what colours will come out of your pairs, you're almost obligated to keep hatching.

Oh.. gee.. darn..
wink.png

-Spooky

Quote:
I have the bottom of the tank covered with a floursack kitchen towel, and then I covered that with feed. I mix my own feed, so what you're seeing is cracked corn, oat groats, wheat berries, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, niger seeds, and white beans that have been put through a food processor and ground to dust and near-dust. I covered the floor with it so they'd have traction and learn what food looked like.

I have the brooders set up with a heating pad shared under two 10g tanks set on "3", and a 75w red light in a reflector resting on the screen tops. I had the heating pad on "2" but they huddled, so I turned it up and now they're scooting around like anything.
-Spooky

Quote:
Yeah. I have a bibbed and a non-bibbed silver. The non-bibbed was supposed to be a hen. It isn't. It's a single factor silver male. However, the silvers are the cute little gay couple that cuddle together and bring each other food, so I'm going to leave them as is
tongue.png

I have NO IDEA how Cricket smashed his head. I looked in there the other day and his head was covered with blood. I peroxided it off, hence the weird feather crest, and found a perfect round ice pick hole. He's not in with other birds and there's nothing in the cage he could have gotten that wound on. I'm stumped. I washed it and let it seep once it was clean, and now he's in with the weekers. He's not picking on them, and one of the little fledgies is beating up on him. Sissy bird!

I'm so excited to see what colours the babies grow up to be. Justhatchin sent pics of her adults but even looking at them, I have no idea what the babies will be, except the yellow.
big_smile.png

UrbanMama's babies are so cute. I can't wait to see what pops out of her hatcher!
big_smile.png
Buttons are like trading cards - finding new and interesting colours is fun, and when you have no clue what colours will come out of your pairs, you're almost obligated to keep hatching.

Oh.. gee.. darn..
wink.png

-Spooky

*shudders* for your Cricket I haven't had a mystery wound yet from any of my birds every wound I've been lucky enough to find a cause. The worst one was my coturnix male, he some how got his leg stuck in the side of thier hutch (i have NO clue how he put it in there in the first place....) and he must have fought with it all that night, when I got up in the morning he was bloody from head to toe but walking around fine. I thought something must have attacked him through the bottom of the cage (blood everywhere on him, other birds etc).....I took him out and here all it was was a little cut near the base of his toes....so i searched around and was able to find the exact are he got caught in...(tons of blood and bloody wing markings from fighting to get free). The boo boo itself was just a slit but from him fighting so much (obviously) he bled a lot...i still dont know how he survived so much blood loss...

All i can say though, is i wish people healed like birds! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom