Please help with feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by roxyanddutches, Dec 23, 2013.

1. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Ok guys i am new to backyard chickens and I need to start a feed can anyone tell me how.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

What are you looking to know...how to make your own feed? Ferment feed? Grow fodder?

3. sumatra lover

sumatra lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Maryland
    Try the egg layer pellets and some purina scratch grain. My chickens love that and they also get many treats:) I have free roamers and they eat absolutely everything!

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    x2 I do the same thing.

5. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    I have out crumbles mixed with oyster shell but since they free range all day they barely touch the crumbles. I also give morning treats which consist of anything and everything left over including the leftovers from the school lunches-I take zip bags when it is time for my kids to leave and usually fill 3-4 bags. I freeze some for the weekend. Sometimes I soak it overnight in milk. They come running when I open the back door!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Need to know how old all your chickens are.

I use Flock Raiser for everyone, even the chicks (I don't use medicated), and have oyster shell on the side for the layers.

7. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    My girls are around 25-30 weeks old

8. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    I'm thinking about all my Texan friends spending this day alone. Keep busy and know that tomorrow is another day and the holidays are nearly over. Hugs:hugs

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

My chickens, ducks, geese and genies all eat together as they free range from morning till dusk and I feed most everything off the table except meat and this consist of rice veggies some fruits cracked corn and chicken crumble oh and a three way feed ..........

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by