Please help with Goose question

mock16

Hatching
Jan 10, 2022
Our goose has developed red/black spots on her feet. Anyone have any idea of what it could be or how to treat it? Thank you :)

1641862737713.png

The first possibility that comes to mind is frostbite. It looks like snow in the photo..? There's discussion in this thread and this site may also be helpful.
That was my first thought also. They do have a heated coop but we allow them to go outside during the day. Any idea on the best way to treat frostbite? I have moved her into the garage with the temp set at 50 degrees.

I don't know much about frostbite, since we rarely get below freezing temps. All I know is you want them inside, where the frostbite can't get worse.

Once you get your goose on the road to recovery, you may want to double check your housing set up and see if there is anything you can change to help prevent frostbite. I know those living in freezing temps would be willing to help you.

I hope your goose starts feeling better soon

I’ve never had to deal with this issue before so I don’t really know how to treat this, my worry is that the dead flesh might just fall off and then you’ll have a special needs goose.

I’d do what the others suggested and keep them all off the snow, bring that goose inside while they heal, maybe spray some antiseptic of those feet so that an infection doesn’t develop.

I’ve heard of people keeping their geese in the far north just fine, maybe this is a situation of moist cold instead of dry cold? Really low temps are tolerated better if there’s no moisture, damp air chills to the bone much more easily, maybe they stepped into a water dish or spilt it onto themselves while out? Either that or geese aren’t as cold tolerant as we believe them to be, I know mine aren’t but that’s another story.
Different individuals probably have different tolerances too.

Back
Top Bottom