PLease help with shipped eggs!!!

luvzmybabz

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
I received my eggs off of ebay and I thnk a number of them are banties which my hubbie refuses to let me have. Could someone please post a picture of a bantie egg vs. standard or pullet egg with a ruler so I can see if I can tell with some of these?

Plus boo- hoo!! I lost 3 due to breakage.

Could someone also post a bullseye so I can be certain about what cam out of one of the cracked ones.

Also one that broke got goo on 2 other eggs should I wash or just wipe off as much as possible

and I have heard varying times about how long to set before hatch so I will ask more opinions I want everyone Honest opinion

Kasi

I don't know how big a banties egg is but I can tell you this. A egg take 21 days to hatch. In some rare circumstances people here have got a egg that hatched on day 25. I also know to never wash a egg..

The best I can tell you is that if you go to the store and look at the small chicken eggs a banty egg is going to be that size or smaller, so you might have just been sent small standard eggs. I would not worry and set them anyway. As far as the bulls eye here is the thread with pics from speckledhen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008
Now for the dirty eggs, do not wash it, just wipe it off. I would also candle all these eggs before setting them. If 3 were broke you might have a couple that have hairline cracks. It will be a mess if you dont catch it now and they break later. Finally as far as how long to leave them. If I go to the PO first thing in the morning and pick them up I will usually put them in the bator that night right before bed. I still consider the next day as day 1. If I wait for them to be delivered to the house I will set them first thing the fallowing morning and that is considered day 1. My mail doesnt get delivered until close to 1 PM and that is why I wait until the next morning, so try to wait at least 12 or mor hours. I have set them in less but have found this to work best. Hope this helps. Jenn

There is a size difference in bantam eggs from different breeds.
Here's a couple of pics
The white eggs are from bantams, (smallest from oegb and the largest from silkie X, I think)
The brown one is from a red star sex link.
They are compared to a quarter and also AA battery

100_0331.jpg

100_0330.jpg

Hope this helps.
Bantams aren't so bad -- they eat a lot less and require less space. I LOVE my bantams, have 4 standard breeds and 7 bantam breeds.

my husband had a bad experience with a bantie rooster when he was young there is no taking him around it. However when the post office called this morning to say the eggs were there you should have seen how fast he got his shoes on and almost took off without me. I mentioned this to him on the way to post office and he denied anything where he would have to admit he is as excited as me,

EDITED: To say thank you to everyone!!!!

Last edited:
What did you order off ebay to make you think some might be banty eggs?..I agree they just might be small standards if not.....and getting rid of a banty rooster won't be any more problem than a bigger fellow if you hatch out more then acouple...lol...Also I would just wipe off the egg too...

I ordered a standard assortment to test my incubators (1 LG with turner, 1 homemade both still air tried a fan in homemade but hubbie blew it up trying to rig it for me). Lots of eggs (4 dozen) so hopefully I get something to hatch I will be keeping a few of the white layers and getting rid of the rest. I have friends wanting them so I do not think we will have too much trouble.

thanks JK for telling me about the hairline cracks found 7 that were cracked so down more eggs now hopefully I get at least a couple layers out of this batch no big deal on the austion it was 20.00 4 dozen and this included shipping and handling.

all set and ready to go I know this is silly but will be up a while tonight until I am sure the incubators are up to temp

and getting the brooder ready to go expect chicks in mail tomorrow

for those of you wondering I am fairly OCD and when I get something into my blood it really gets there so I just jumped in up to my neck. My office is now more chickens then office but I spend a lot of time here and I want to be close to eggs and chicks.

Quote:
wow where on earth did you get 4 dozen eggs for 20 bucks...am i reading that right?
i won't say what i paid for my batch...but no where close to that!

Back
Top Bottom