1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help with sick peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by ThaiDye, Jan 5, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I'm seriously tempted to send you some Baytril and metronidazole, but would have to clear that with the boss, he can be funny about that.

-Kathy

2. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My vet recommended Braggs, and she said not to put in in metal containers.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Probably not a good idea to mix Corid and ACV, but that's just a gut feeling, it's not based on anything scientific. [​IMG]

-Kathy

4. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014

And ditto the don't go overboard bit... I just managed to kill an azalea with ACV by being a little too enthusiastic with it [​IMG]

Sometimes more is not better [​IMG]

5. Shay1Bear

Shay1Bear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Konawa Oklahoma
    Wow okay thank you[​IMG] also I thought it was a possibility that the Tylan was taking all of the good bacteria out of her body and that could be the reason for the watery poo. Prior to starting this second round of antibiotics I had put save a chick probiotics in her water thinking it may help and it did a little.I keep electrolytes in all my peas water at all times to help their immunsystem

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    These pictures are from peafowl that had blackhead, E. Coli or both. Some recovered with just metronidazole, other had to have metronidazole and Baytril. None were treated with Corid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Well lots of folks have suggested that not everything mixes will with Corid... like vitamins can interfere with the way the Corid works, and then that other antibiotic I was just reading about said don't use some kinds of coccidiostats during or a week before or after, not sure if Corid was in that category & didn't have time to look it up.

Right now, depending on what's causing the bad poo, Corid may be the more urgent need, but hard to say long distance and just guessing...

Shay, do I take it that the poo has been nasty all along? Since before you started the Tylan?

eta -- apparently I was typing this while Kathy was posting poo pix...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

My ovation button is not working but I wanted to tell you that is an exceptional post! Thank you!

9. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    You are so thoughtful to say so [​IMG]

I just want to say nice things about @casportpony -- Kathy's super smart at this, and such a help to us all [​IMG]

10. Shay1Bear

Shay1Bear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Konawa Oklahoma
    Her poo hasn't had blood in it that I have seen but it hasn't ever been like all my other peas poo. Their poo looks about like dog poo and thats normal but hers is and has been watery on and off since we got her .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by