Please help with sick peacock

My husband thinks its from Mic getting into the feed boxes! Could be whats made him sick. Hes not going to make it
1f622.png
I've got him in my lap now and hes just about lifeless. This is horrible! He was doing better yesterday and this morning it took a turn for the worst. Thank you for your help, I only wished I would have asked sooner!

My husband thinks its from Mic getting into the feed boxes! Could be whats made him sick. Hes not going to make it
1f622.png
I've got him in my lap now and hes just about lifeless. This is horrible! He was doing better yesterday and this morning it took a turn for the worst. Thank you for your help, I only wished I would have asked sooner!
So sorry... His poop looks like blackhead poop to me.

Contents of cecal pouch - black liquid poop, NOT normal!

LL

-Kathy

That looks exactly like his poo!!! So thats what it was:'( im going to have to do some research on this and make sure all my others are okay
So sorry... His poop looks like blackhead poop to me. [COLOR=333333]Contents of cecal pouch - black liquid poop, NOT normal![/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
LL
[/COLOR] -Kathy

That looks exactly like his poo!!! So thats what it was:'( im going to have to do some research on this and make sure all my others are okay
Quote: How many others in his age range are there? Treatment for this when it's this far advanced is metronidazole, Safeguard and Baytril. If caught early enough one can treat with just metronidazole and Safeguard, but this far advance they will also have E.coli, and E. coli must be treated with something like Baytril or Cipro.

To be 100% sure, I suggest that you do a necropsy on him when he dies. I don't want to sound insensitive, but I think that you really should do it.

-Kathy

I thought I should share that I saw one looking a little off a few days ago and last night I decided to bring her in. Her poop looks very much like the poop pictures I posted, so I suspect it's blackhead and E.coli, though I guess it could be something else. Doesn't matter though, treatment will be the same.

2.5 year old 3 kg hen

0.6m (60mg)l Baytril (100mg/ml) by injection once a day
100 mg metronidazole orally twice a day for no less than 5 days
1.5 ml Safeguard orally once a day for 5 days
0.7 ml Corid orally once a day for 5 days

60-120ml of fluids via the tube several times a day. Once hydrated I will tube Kaytee.

-Kathy

I thought I should share that I saw one looking a little off a few days ago and last night I decided to bring her in. Her poop looks very much like the poop pictures I posted, so I suspect it's blackhead and E.coli, though I guess it could be something else. Doesn't matter though, treatment will be the same.
2.5 year old 3 kg hen

0.6m (60mg)l Baytril (100mg/ml) by injection once a day 100 mg metronidazole orally twice a day for no less than 5 days 1.5 ml Safeguard orally once a day for 5 days 0.7 ml Corid orally once a day for 5 days 60-120ml of fluids via the tube several times a day. Once hydrated I will tube Kaytee. -Kathy
My boy didn't make it, I knew this morning he was going to but I never give up on them, I have 18 Peas now that all share the same pen as he did, is Blackhead contagious? Im worried about that!

If one bird in a pen has it, it is very likely more have it. It would be wise to start a Safeguard treatment right away to kill the cecal worms. I recommend that you have a fecal exam done Monday. Get about a half of a teaspoon from as many fresh piles as you can find in the morning. Collect them in a baggie and take them to the vet and have them check for worm eggs and cocci.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom