Please help with the ID of this rooster PIC HEAVY

ArizonaNessa

Joyfully Addicted
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
A friend of mine has sent me pictures of her rooster. The rooster was given to her and to decide it's fate she needs to know what breed he really is. At first glance we thought he was a single comb RIR but with all the green on the chest and wings it has made me look twice. She is very concerned about the leg color being too light for RIR. So here I am with beautiful pictures that DO NOT BELONG TO ME but I know that all you wonderful BYC people can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Edited to say: She thinks maybe copper maran. I am just not completely sure about that though.

P9260033.jpg

P9260032.jpg

P9260029.jpg

P9260025.jpg

Last edited:
NOT a RIR

I am thinking maybe a Partridge Rock or a Welsummer, hard to say though, there are several breeds of roos with this color.

I think she is wanting to use this rooster in a breeding project but the more pictures of copper marans that I look at the more I want to lean that way. I have to agree though on the fact that these colors are very common.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking Maran too but there was something about that color of red in the hackles and saddles and I don't think the BC Marans have that much of a green sheen in the breast feahers, but I'm not sure. Good luck.

I have a similar looking roo except his neck feathers are yellow. But the guy that I got him from told me that he was a cross between a RIR Hen and something else. He didn't know what the rooster was because someone gave it to him.
41844_rooster1.jpg

Thank you for the help. I'm still looking around too. Anyone else out there have a guess or thought about the mystery roo?

I have looked at so many breed pics my eyes hurt and I am starting to think every breed is the same just in a different light
barnie.gif
gig.gif

Black copper marans dont have that wing triangle and his leggs are too light...He looks more like a wheaten marans/? His hackel color a little to dark...

Back
Top Bottom