Please help with wry neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster brandon., May 11, 2011.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    One of my little game chicken chicks has wry neck what do i need to get to fix it is there anything i can do for now until tomorrow when i get the meds?

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Do you have a pic?

3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    give me just a little please

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    [​IMG] when he calms down he doesent do it when i looked in the brooder nothing when i opened it and stressed everyone he started.

5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    also has like jerks in his neck he jerks it around in short sudden jerks but only when stressed

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    try a toilot paper roll cut it to size to fit the neck. this happened to a silkie of mine lasted 3 months

7. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    What can i get to fix it at farmers co-op

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Check my website under the 2nd tab I think. I hope this helps!

9. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I'm dealing with the same thing right now. I posted mine and got some really great stuff. Here's the link to my thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=502187

What
    I am doing right now: I have her in the house in the bathtub. I've made a soup out of her chick starter, and she gets 1 drop Ply-ViSol baby vitamin once a day. I've been giving her bits of egg, chicken, rice, sunflower seeds (foods high in selenium) and even french toast cut really, really, small. Only a very little of each throughout the day.
    I am fortunate according to other posts I've read in that I'm not having to feed and water via eye dropper. She does walk around, eating and drinking on her own.
    I just found her last night, so it's probably too early to tell whether anything is working. She just got the vitamin for the first time this afternoon (yeah, that was fun, giving her the vitamin!).
    Interesting to note about mine that might help you: I ordered 10 chicks and the others were feathering out nicely, but she still had mostly fuzz/down and lots of bald spots. What I was told is that it is caused by the vitamin deficiency - the protein of the egg will hopefully help that.
    What I have found interesting is that they all came from the same hatchery: why does this one only seem to be deficient?

Anyway, read other posts of people who are dealing with wry neck. I found a great video of a silkie with it, and she was acting just like my girl. So I knew then I had the correct diagnosis. Here's the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS64ne2boQ0
    Apparently
    with Silkies, it could be a whole other matter b/c they are actually hatched with a whole in their head! I did not know that til last night. So they are prone to swelling.

Basically most people say it is curable, so that's good. There are those, however, that the chicken could always have some oddities about it.

Hope this helped. So many people helped me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by