Please help world's worst plucker :P

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by patandchickens, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I dipped mine periodically in water while plucking the feathers, and rubbed the pinfeathers loose underwater--they just rolled right out. The birds that we pithed were WAY easier to pluck than the one we didn't. I was really shocked at how easy the plucking went, especially for my first time. I was able to get the birds "naked" in about 5 minutes.

I did scald briefly first, but in hindsight, I'm not sure that was even necessary on the pithed birds.

2. quercus21

quercus21 Songster

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Morning Everyone,
    I start off with soap in the water, which seems to help cut through the oils. I also don't leave the bird in the water for a predetermined time, but to agitate the bird, and sampling the feathers. When they come off without a problem, then I start plucking. What I'll do with the "quill tips"?, is I'll use a sharp knife and place it between the skin and quill. With my thumb, I'll hold the quill on the knife and roll the knife. To me it's a fast process, it's sort of like shaving without the cutting. I'll end up with a few that I'll "pop" out like a pimple.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I am so glad this little thread is here. We are goping to be butchering in late Nov. and I sure am gleening alot of info. here on how to get those aweful pinnys out that I've been reading about.

4. Singe off the pin feathers with a small propane torch!!!

Jim

5. skeeter

skeeter Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I think most people are getting confused about the difference of pin feathers and broken feathers

6. skeeter

skeeter Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:yeah I may not cut the bird but ive sure manage to slice my thumb a few thousand times,
    but im kinda like a bear with boxing gloves on anyway

7. Quote:Can you give them a Brazilian Wax? [​IMG]

~Phyllis

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    what is a Brazillion wax? what kind of wax do you use,? seriously.....

jiminwisc

9. BettyR

BettyR Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I have a large pot that I scald my chickens in that allows me to totally submerge the chicken. I get my water no hotter than 130° then pour it into my pot which will cool it down just a bit when it goes into the room temp pot.

I then put the chicken in head first and hold it under water by it's feet ...swishing around just a bit...until all the feathers are good and wet and it will stay under the water buy itself.

Remove the chicken and pluck the feathers; they will rub out with slightest push of the fingers...clean as a whistle and no pin feathers.

I have to admit that I wear latex gloves to do all this...I'm a big sissy and I can't stand the idea of plucking a chicken with my bare hands. I think the gloves also adhere to the feathers better than skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: