Please help!!!

forthechicks

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
Two days ago i went to tractor supply and they had chicks and ducklings. In one of the tubs there was just one chick, all by its self, laying on its back....i thought it was dead. But then it started moving and after a few minutes flipped over to its belly and stumbled around. I felt so bad for it so i talked to a worker and he said that there wasnt anything wrong with it its just so little that it got flipped over on its back and the others were being mean and steping on it so he put it in there. He told me if i was going to try and help it (I'm not sure if it's a girl or boy) i could go ahead and take it...so i did. It wont drink unless i put its head to the water and wont eat at all. It cant really sit up just lays forward or on its side. When it trys to walk it leans to the side and usualy falls over. But over all it did pretty good the first day and night and i finally got it to eat a tiny bit. But then last night i thought it was all over. The poor baby just layed there a nd wouldnt open its eyes or even try to stand. It took some water but no food. I was afraid it was too cold so i bunddled em up and put hothannds around em and stayed up sll night with it. It lived and is doing better. Today i got him to eat some and drink but all it wants to do is sleep. And it lays in weird positions. It litterally falls asleep in my hands when I'm trying to feed it. Igot a heat lamp set up and cousioned a box but still I have to physically give em food and water. I really want this baby to live...and I'm sorry this is soo long...PLEASE HELP ME
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f62d.png

If you have SaveAChick electrolytes with vitamins, put that into the water as directed. Then dip it's beak letting it swallow as often as possible for the next 24-48 hours. Try it in a chick chair with feet touching the floor to strengthen it's legs. Keep the heat lamp 18 inches away at 90 degrees on the floor with a thermometer under the lamp, plus a cooler space to escape to. Keep its butt cleaned of poop once a day if it is pasty. Chicks mailed to feed stores can get really stressed in shipping, and they may be dehydrated. If you don't have electrolytes, add 1 tsp of sugar and a small pinch of salt to a quart of water.

LL
106200_chick_chair.jpg
LL

I looked and it appears that the end toe on one of the chicks feet it kind of bent in and under the foot...

No it can walk a bit better I think it's leg is gettin stronger but now it just sleeps and will barely open his eyes

For the first few days after hatching a chick will sleep a lot. Electrolytes for chicks can really help them off to a good start but like eggcessive said above sugar and water will do the trick to. As for the crooked toe it is a good idea to treat it like a broken finger and get it supported so it is straight and cannot bend or else the bone will harden to the shape of the bend and will never be straight again.

Back
Top Bottom