Please help

Izall

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Brookport, IL
Came home earlier and found one of my young chickens with a severe head wound. Not sure what to do. I sprayed some "Vetericyn poultry care on it and brought it in the house
. Is there anything else I need to do?

Oh, poor baby! DO NOT LET IT GET INFECTED!! Cover whatever you put her in with a towel so that fly's cannot get in and maggots end up on her (don't ask me how I know this will happen) Just keep it clean, keep spraying Vetericyn on it. If you have some or can get some Silver Sulfadiazine cream, put that on her. She will be fine as long as it does not get infected.

She's acting normal other than shaking her head a little but I figured that to be normal considering. She's eating and drinking.

I think I found the culprit, just went back outside and found a young possum fooling around the area I found her in. We are going to keep her inside and keep spraying the vetericyn on it and try to put the silver sulferdine on it. Thank you for your help.

I think I found the culprit, just went back outside and found a young possum fooling around the area I found her in. We are going to keep her inside and keep spraying the vetericyn on it and try to put the silver sulferdine on it. Thank you for your help.
Oh, dang. Well, I hope you can relocate it or something like that. Poor girl. I am glad to help anytime!

Update on the patient, she seems to be doing good. Eating and drinking normal. We are continuing to spray it and keep the silver sulferdine on it.

She looks great! Looks like you are doing a good job keeping it clean, the pink has mostly disappeared and it just looks good in general. Haha, I love it when I have chickens in solitary confinement, because they get lonely and always get so friendly towards humans. How old is she? She looks like she is 12 to 14 weeks old? I recently had a bunch of full grown roosters get together and literally gang rape an 8 week old hen, she had a hole in her head at least that large. She is healed up and back out with the others after only 5 days in solitary containment.

Back
Top Bottom