Please help!

Hello Duck Experts.

I am currently on day 22 of incubating call duck eggs. I am worried the air cell is too small to enter into lock down. I have been keeping the humidity around 50%. We did have a few temperature fluctuations so they might be late to hatch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

they don't look too bad to me, for day 22, but pics dont always do justice. you could do a quick misting, once or twice a day. It seems backwards, but it actually helps draw more moisture out, as the mist evaporates. You could also take a damp sponge and wipe the shell, kinda remove some of the bloom from the egg, if you feel its necessary.

good luck!

Ok Thank you! Should I enter lock down as scheduled tomorrow? I will give a light mist tonight, should I aim for a lower humidity (less than 50%) or do you think the misting will do the trick?

Ok Thank you! Should I enter lock down as scheduled tomorrow? I will give a light mist tonight, should I aim for a lower humidity (less than 50%) or do you think the misting will do the trick?

the ac's look a little on the small side, like WV said i would mist/sponge 1-2x per day to help with that and stop turning now but wait to up humidity until drawdown or internal pip

Good Luck!!

Ok Thank you!
I had a quick peek today at the air cells and some of them are much larger- almost on track. Are there any signs I can look for other than inspecting for a crack? Will I see the eggs moving around or will I hear some peeping? Not a whole lot out there about call ducks specifically so I really appreciate your support!

you could hear peeping, or see movement
or you may hear nothing, and see nothing
unfortunately every egg is different and nothing is set in stone

i would sponge the ones that look small, and since you have to open it anyway, you can always hold a flashlight over them to see if they are internally pipped

the ac's look a little on the small side, like WV said i would mist/sponge 1-2x per day to help with that and stop turning now but wait to up humidity until drawdown or internal pip

Good Luck!!

Ok Thank you!
I had a quick peek today at the air cells and some of them are much larger- almost on track. Are there any signs I can look for other than inspecting for a crack? Will I see the eggs moving around or will I hear some peeping? Not a whole lot out there about call ducks specifically so I really appreciate your support!

you could hear peeping, or see movement
or you may hear nothing, and see nothing
unfortunately every egg is different and nothing is set in stone

i would sponge the ones that look small, and since you have to open it anyway, you can always hold a flashlight over them to see if they are internally pipped

I took your suggestions, and I think one has internally pipped. This is my first hatch so I took a little video (doesn't look like I'm able to upload the video). This is such an exciting time!

Nothing external yet.
THANK YOU!

I took your suggestions, and I think one has internally pipped. This is my first hatch so I took a little video (doesn't look like I'm able to upload the video). This is such an exciting time!

Nothing external yet.
THANK YOU!
you would have to upload to vimeo or youtube or something like that to upload a video here

:fl good luck!!

Ok great! Here it is:

I don't think it has quite broken the membrane yet, but its definitely pushing on it. I see a little clear-ish area still between the duckling and the air cell, so he's still got a little ways to go. Good movement though! That's always a good sign! :)

Back
Top Bottom