please help

Wren96392

In the Brooder
May 28, 2017
my chick has been hatching for about two ish days and it has it unzipped (or whatever you call it) and there is blood but the chick itself seems to be fine but it isn't done absorbing the blood and I want to help it because it tries to push out but can't seem to do it ... what do I do? I don't have a working camera or I would use pics

my chick has been hatching for about two ish days and it has it unzipped (or whatever you call it) and there is blood but the chick itself seems to be fine but it isn't done absorbing the blood and I want to help it because it tries to push out but can't seem to do it ... what do I do? I don't have a working camera or I would use pics

Hatching chicks can take a while! Does it have air and is it breathing? If so they don't worry about it! Check on it every two hours or so and if it seems like it is really not pushing out try gently pulling the top off, if it doesn't come off easily stop and wait.

Also, is the membrane still wet? If it dries out too much it can make it hard for the chick to break free. Try wetting the membrane slightly with a wet rag.

Hatching chicks can take a while! Does it have air and is it breathing? If so they don't worry about it! Check on it every two hours or so and if it seems like it is really not pushing out try gently pulling the top off, if it doesn't come off easily stop and wait.

Also, is the membrane still wet? If it dries out too much it can make it hard for the chick to break free. Try wetting the membrane slightly with a wet rag.

The chick is breathing and moving with an occasional cheep but he/ she has stopped trying to hatch ... also how do you tell if it isn't ready or deformed? I think it is okay but how to I become 100% sure?

The chick is breathing and moving with an occasional cheep but he/ she has stopped trying to hatch ... also how do you tell if it isn't ready or deformed? I think it is okay but how to I become 100% sure?

How long has it been since it "stopped trying"? Sometimes they'll take a little break to catch their energy back.

Can you look inside the egg? Sometimes if a chick has deformities nature will not let it hatch (a weak wing, deformed leg... etc). If you can't look inside the egg then go into a dark room and try candling it with a strong flashlight. If you can see the silhouette look for bumps or anything strange that may cause this chick to not hatch.

Do you have any recent pictures you could upload of the hatching chick?

How long has it been since it "stopped trying"? Sometimes they'll take a little break to catch their energy back.

Can you look inside the egg? Sometimes if a chick has deformities nature will not let it hatch (a weak wing, deformed leg... etc). If you can't look inside the egg then go into a dark room and try candling it with a strong flashlight. If you can see the silhouette look for bumps or anything strange that may cause this chick to not hatch.

Do you have any recent pictures you could upload of the hatching chick?

no camera (that works anyways) and the chick pushed himself/ herself out of the egg but has a little bit of a blood sac attached to it (I know for sure it isn't yolk 'cause I have been hatching for awhile and know what yolk looks like) but the sac of blood isn't huge and it seems to be getting a little stronger as the time passes.. but I am not sure it will make it because its sac is still attached to the egg and the chick hasn't made much of an attempt to move. Also - I took the chick (and shell with sac) and put it on a warm damp towel and put that into a box which is in the incubator to keep chick off of it.. anything else I need to do?

no camera (that works anyways) and the chick pushed himself/ herself out of the egg but has a little bit of a blood sac attached to it (I know for sure it isn't yolk 'cause I have been hatching for awhile and know what yolk looks like) but the sac of blood isn't huge and it seems to be getting a little stronger as the time passes.. but I am not sure it will make it because its sac is still attached to the egg and the chick hasn't made much of an attempt to move. Also - I took the chick (and shell with sac) and put it on a warm damp towel and put that into a box which is in the incubator to keep chick off of it.. anything else I need to do?

Sounds like you're doing good! Sometimes after the chick comes out they just sit there and look pretty weak and almost dead. Here's a picture of my chick which hatched two weeks ago tomorrow. I let my broody hen hatch five eggs and I brought this one inside to watch it hatch. After it hatched it was still attached to the shell and the egg so I brought her back to the coop and put her under the warm belly of her mom. After ten minutes I checked on her and she had disconnected from the egg but still looked so weak and limp. It took her a full day and a half to start walking properly (before she would walk a few steps and then sit down again to sleep). She's now happy and healthy and is one of the friendliest little chicks! They are pretty weak after they hatch so expect them to sleep for up to a day or two. If the chick is still limp and sleeping after the fourth day then maybe it's a weaker chick or something is wrong. Keep me posted!

IMG_4717.jpg

I am just concerned because we have a couple chicks in the 'bator -- most have hatched today -- and they are all moving but this little cutie is still laying and
Sounds like you're doing good! Sometimes after the chick comes out they just sit there and look pretty weak and almost dead. Here's a picture of my chick which hatched two weeks ago tomorrow. I let my broody hen hatch five eggs and I brought this one inside to watch it hatch. After it hatched it was still attached to the shell and the egg so I brought her back to the coop and put her under the warm belly of her mom. After ten minutes I checked on her and she had disconnected from the egg but still looked so weak and limp. It took her a full day and a half to start walking properly (before she would walk a few steps and then sit down again to sleep). She's now happy and healthy and is one of the friendliest little chicks! They are pretty weak after they hatch so expect them to sleep for up to a day or two. If the chick is still limp and sleeping after the fourth day then maybe it's a weaker chick or something is wrong. Keep me posted!

View attachment 1022775

quick question -- any ideas how to tell if the chick is male or female?

anyways the cutie is laying in her/ his separate box with the towel (actually a washcloth) and breathing really hard even though she hatched a little while ago... there is blood on her butt still .. no longer the sac though and it is kinda wet ... is this bad? how do I help her (just gonna call it a her for now) She doesn't seem to have any deformities... so other than her seemingly early hatch she is perfectly fine .. does that mean she should be able to live through this?

I am just concerned because we have a couple chicks in the 'bator -- most have hatched today -- and they are all moving but this little cutie is still laying and

quick question -- any ideas how to tell if the chick is male or female?

anyways the cutie is laying in her/ his separate box with the towel (actually a washcloth) and breathing really hard even though she hatched a little while ago... there is blood on her butt still .. no longer the sac though and it is kinda wet ... is this bad? how do I help her (just gonna call it a her for now) She doesn't seem to have any deformities... so other than her seemingly early hatch she is perfectly fine .. does that mean she should be able to live through this?

She should be fine just hanging out and getting her energy back. Yes, she will be breathing hard for awhile until she dries and fluffs up. Just give her some time and keep an eye on her. :)

Here's a way of knowing their gender. I have yet to know if it works (my chicks are still growing).

896eb1aefec9851833c9ca3c0c7fe740.jpg

She should be fine just hanging out and getting her energy back. Yes, she will be breathing hard for awhile until she dries and fluffs up. Just give her some time and keep an eye on her. :)

Here's a way of knowing their gender. I have yet to know if it works (my chicks are still growing).

View attachment 1022945

She is okay!! moving, cheeping, barely any blood attached to her navel anymore! thanks for the gender help haha :)

Back
Top Bottom