Please help

I really thank you for this clarifying information. To say I was flying blind is an understatement. I did not treat them with permethrin, I only cleaned the coop and drenched everything with 2 oz 36% permethrin in a gallon of water. Opened everything up and made sure it was bone dry before putting the hens back in. This vet caused me more grief than I can even write down. He first said she had an abdominal tumor. I insisted on an X-ray and he then said she had lung tumors, granulomas from the lice. So I will never know if she could have been saved. She was sick for sure, but since he never mentioned the abdominal tumor after the X-ray is very much troubling to me now

I'm so very sorry. Sometimes even when we seek professional care we can be left with more questions than answers. I hope if you have to use a vet again, that you find one that is willing to explain things more clearly and has a compassionate heart.

Yes, use the spray. You started with it, so continue with it. Why? Because you don't know exactly how much Ivermectin is in the spray, and you've already started treating with it. Since you don't know what dosage is in the spray, it would be difficult to calculate the correct dosage to use with the Ivermectin you just bought. The dosage for the Ivermectin you just bought, is what is to be used IF they have not been treated, OR have gone for the correct length of time without anymore being applied, until it's time to reapply. There are different strengths, and types of Ivermectin as well. It's not all the same. This is another reason why it would be difficult to change over. You don't know exactly what form, strength, etc., of Ivermectin the vet used. Ivermectin is safe when used properly, but can be harmful when not used properly. Besides that, it's almost over with anyway.

Next time, you get mites, and you will, you can treat them with the product you bought. Make sure it's the type, and strength that others are using, so you don't overdo it. The 1% Ivermectin pour on, can be applied by lifting the neck feathers, and putting 4 - 5 drops directly on the skin.

This time of year, it's normal for 2 year old chickens to lose their feathers. It's called molt. They lose all their feathers, not usually all at once, although some do. Normally it starts around the head/neck area, then works down toward the tail. Don't worry, they come back in. When he gets new feathers, there will be a white keratin coating, which flakes off.

unbaked, according to what I read, I was under the impression you only have 3 other chickens. Am I mistaken? This should not be overly stressful for you, or your chickens. Get a bucket, or something to sit on, and set the chicken in your lap while you do this. While it's in your lap, press down gently on it's back, and wings with one hand. You can use some of your wrist, and arm too. You do NOT have to saturate them with the spray from head to toe. Don't spray the face. Spray away from the head, towards the body, and mist the top part (neck, back,top of wings, and top of the tail) then work the nozzle under a section of the neck feathers, and give a little spritz close to the skin. Set the bottle down, and tuck one wing downward, and gently roll the chicken on it's side. Pin the other wing, with one hand, grab the spray bottle, and use the hand pinning the wing, to lift the wing away from the body some. Mist, then use the nozzle to lift away a few feather, then put the tip of the nozzle near the skin, and spritz. While the chicken is on it's side, mist the chest, stomach, and vent area. Gently roll the chicken onto it's other side, using your hand to guide the bottom wing, until it is secure in your lap, and the other hand to pin the free wing. Now get the spray bottle, and repeat what you just did. Near the vent, but not directly on the vent, use the nozzle to lift a few feathers, and then put the nozzle close to the skin, and spritz. Repeat for next chicken.

unbaked, according to what I read, I was under the impression you only have 3 other chickens. Am I mistaken? This should not be overly stressful for you, or your chickens. Get a bucket, or something to sit on, and set the chicken in your lap while you do this. While it's in your lap, press down gently on it's back, and wings with one hand. You can use some of your wrist, and arm too. You do NOT have to saturate them with the spray from head to toe. Don't spray the face. Spray away from the head, towards the body, and mist the top part (neck, back,top of wings, and top of the tail) then work the nozzle under a section of the neck feathers, and give a little spritz close to the skin. Set the bottle down, and tuck one wing downward, and gently roll the chicken on it's side. Pin the other wing, with one hand, grab the spray bottle, and use the hand pinning the wing, to lift the wing away from the body some. Mist, then use the nozzle to lift away a few feather, then put the tip of the nozzle near the skin, and spritz. While the chicken is on it's side, mist the chest, stomach, and vent area. Gently roll the chicken onto it's other side, using your hand to guide the bottom wing, until it is secure in your lap, and the other hand to pin the free wing. Now get the spray bottle, and repeat what you just did. Near the vent, but not directly on the vent, use the nozzle to lift a few feathers, and then put the nozzle close to the skin, and spritz. Repeat for next chicken.
Yes I only have 3 Orpingtons. They must feel my anxiety because it does make me anxious, I am so afraid I will hurt them. I just put a beach towel on the floor of the coop and sit on that. I have to do it at night because while it wouldn’t be impossible to catch them during the day, night time is easier. The only obstacle is that none of them will roost, they sleep in a nest box at night, all of them together. There is a lip on the nestbox and it is a challenge to get them out of there without them grabbing that lip. So I am going to the coop now with my light. Wish me luck:)

Yes, if you are waiting until they are trying to go to sleep, it will make them anxious, but they should be fairly calm. They may be sensing YOUR anxiety, so calm down, and talk to them. I doubt you are going to hurt them.

Ty

Thank you so much im going to do that i love my roo earle hes so sweet dont no what id do if something happened to him never the less my other birds

Back
Top Bottom