Please help

I have 3 red sex link hens 2 leghorns 2 amber links n 4minuture bantums but i have 3 coops and some run free range bit ty for your advice that really set me at ease

You are very welcome. Just keep an eye on the pooh. If changes a little, then returns to normal, it's probably due to molt. If it does not return to normal, it could be an indication that they need to be wormed. Other symptoms of them needing to be wormed are, pale combs and wattles, and weight loss.

After I finish this 3 week of spraying my orps every other day, should I just set up a schedule to routinely treat them? They already have a dust bathing area, and I clean the coop every day, they have fresh water every day. I just don’t want this to happen again

After I finish this 3 week of spraying my orps every other day, should I just set up a schedule to routinely treat them? They already have a dust bathing area, and I clean the coop every day, they have fresh water every day. I just don’t want this to happen again
I don't understand. Are you planning to use permethrin or ivermectin? Neither of those is needed every other day. Your vet was wrong to suggest spraying them every other day. Do not do that. Just decide whether to use permethrin or get some ivermectin topical or pour-on. Permethrin only needed to be used once every 10 days for lice or every 7 days for mites. The ivermectin drops on the back only need to be applied once, and possibly again in 14 days if you are still seeing lice. Please re-read the thread to find the posts you are referring to. It can get complicated with so many people fiving you advice. I really hope that you and your chickens get along well. Lice can really be a pain, but with just a handful of birds, it is doable to get rid of them.

Last edited:
Not really. The reason you don't routinely treat for mites is that they can become resistant to what you're using. If you notice their feathers looking extra fuzzy, or a bit ratty, be sure to check them. You should be picking them up, and checking them all over at least once a week, anyway. That way you will know, if they're losing weight, got lice/mites, and injury, etc.

Yes, once the initial treatments to get the lice and their hatched eggs after 7 days, you only need to treat again if you see lice or eggs on them. I would examine them once a week to check for lice.

1007171634.jpg
Well i lost my roo earle i wormed him and sprayed poultry protector on him and he was still poop green he got to were he woyldnt eat or drink i took to vet they allowed it was a respitory infection or and i quote he could have had a heat stroke i keep my birds veey comforalbe if i think its gettn to hot i take a water hose n spray the bottom of coop and were they wlk around but R.I.P earle i love you n u will be missed baby doll

View attachment 1158408 Well i lost my roo earle i wormed him and sprayed poultry protector on him and he was still poop green he got to were he woyldnt eat or drink i took to vet they allowed it was a respitory infection or and i quote he could have had a heat stroke i keep my birds veey comforalbe if i think its gettn to hot i take a water hose n spray the bottom of coop and were they wlk around but R.I.P earle i love you n u will be missed baby doll
So sorry to hear about Earle:hugs

Back
Top Bottom