Please help.

tawirth604

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
Hello. I have 4, 2-week old langshan chicks that I purchased from TSC. They have all been doing really well, and then today I noticed one, the smaller of the four, off by herself. I picked her up, and noticed a bony protrusion coming out by her chest (breast bone?). I’m able to move it gently back and forth. She’s acting lethargic and drinks a little. She moves her head and neck in a circular motion a lot and looks uncomfortable. Her crop seems fine. They are on non-medicated starter/grower. Any help is so appreciated.

-Tiffany

Hello. I have 4, 2-week old langshan chicks that I purchased from TSC. They have all been doing really well, and then today I noticed one, the smaller of the four, off by herself. I picked her up, and noticed a bony protrusion coming out by her chest (breast bone?). I’m able to move it gently back and forth. She’s acting lethargic and drinks a little. She moves her head and neck in a circular motion a lot and looks uncomfortable. Her crop seems fine. They are on non-medicated starter/grower. Any help is so appreciated.

-Tiffany
Sounds (to me) like maybe she broke her brest bone? Im sure it would be hard to hold her head up. Theyre old enough to be trying to fly around she might have just hurt herself flying into a wall or landing wrong. Ive never had it happen to my birds so im not really sure what to say. Maybe seperate her from the others (if you can within view of them)with water and feed near her so she doesnt have to walk? Or something, maybe laying on it would be worse. :/

There might be something wrong with her that you can’t fix, since you're saying she is the smallest one, but here’s what to try.
Give her nutridrench, a drop directly on the side of the beak, a few times a day - or put some in their drinking water if she atill deinks pretty well, it won’t hurt the others (follow instructions on the bottle). Or get some Save-A-Chick and mix that in their water. If she is really lethargic the nutridrench will be better.
The protrusion might just be her breastbone if she is skinnier than the others.
How old is your feed? How are you storing it? Older feed that has oxidized will vitamin deficiencies that cause neurological problems... Check the date on the bag and make sure it’s not more than a few weeks old. Make sure to store it cool and dry or freeze it in zip lock bags (defrost before feeding). I once had two chicks with crazy chick syndrom from rancid feed and have been freezing chick feed since - they go through one bag so very slowly). Good luck!!!

The feed is stored in our laundry room, and it’s new. I will get her some Save A Chick today. I just checked on her, and she’s walking around with the others, so that’s good. Thanks, guys. :)

Sounds (to me) like maybe she broke her brest bone? Im sure it would be hard to hold her head up. Theyre old enough to be trying to fly around she might have just hurt herself flying into a wall or landing wrong. Ive never had it happen to my birds so im not really sure what to say. Maybe seperate her from the others (if you can within view of them)with water and feed near her so she doesnt have to walk? Or something, maybe laying on it would be worse. :/

If it is a broken beast bone, will it heal? :(

If it is a broken beast bone, will it heal? :(
How would it have broken its bone? That is highly unlikely unless you had pets or kids playing roughly with them.
To figure out if your feed is fresh enough you have to look for the date on the bag. It might have been lying around in the store too long.

[QUOTE="lazy gardener, post: 19765444, member:

You can’t see it on camera, only feel it.

How would it have broken its bone? That is highly unlikely unless you had pets or kids playing roughly with them.
To figure out if your feed is fresh enough you have to look for the date on the bag. It might have been lying around in the store too long.

Not sure. I was wondering if maybe one of the other chicks hurt her or something. I don’t think anything is broken at this point. I put nutridrench in their water this morning, and she seemed to perk up. However, she’s still doing that weird thing with her neck.

Back
Top Bottom